Alternative to Baytril

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feather78

Reaction score
Houdini is on his second round of Baytril for what seems to be a bladder infection (on his urinalysis, calcium was too high but x-rays, ultrasound, and test for the bacteria or whatever that cause head tilt came back fine). He has taken it seven times so far (he is supposed to take 1 ml once a day for 14 days), but he is still peeing on himself. I am starting to think that this will never end, and we are both sick of giving him medicine. Someone on here told me that Baytril is seen by many as ineffective, so I was wondering what alternative I could ask for if this round does not work. Thanks!

I think that what you are saying ( clarify for me if I am wrong) is that the urine was tested for bacteria and it came back negative ;

If his urine was actually tested and the test was reliable then why would the vet give him an antibiotic. :?
There are other causes for buns to pee on themselves. he possibly has a problem with kidney function. and not an infection .

Was the test given for the parasite ecuniculi?

this parasite can cause kindey problems also but is not treated with an antibiotic

if the vet can do blood work he can determine if the kidneys are working properly.
I had a bun who peed on himself and the problem was a failure of his kidneys to function correctly.

if there is something that you left out of your 1st post let me know andI can recommend a better antibiotic than baytril for an infection (if that is needed)

please give all the info you can about this rabbit

That's what I don't understand either- why he was on antibiotics if his urinalysis came back ok, but I thought maybe that was for something else, like just to check calcium and sugar levels and things like that. When I was given antibiotics for myself for an infection, it was because they ruled out everything else and figured that was it, so I thought maybe that was how it worked with rabbits too. Guess not.

One of the tests was for ecuniculi.

How would they test for kidney problems? If that is it, can they treat that?

ETA: After the first round of Baytril, it seemed that he stopped peeing on himself for a week or two, then it started again.

----------

Houdini is a little over 3 years old (I think), and he is a neutered male Lionhead.

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? yes
- when did they last use their litterbox? this morning
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits? After he goes to the bathroom, he kicks his legs back and sprays pee everywhere. I noticed this at the same time I noticed the pee on him.
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? newspaper

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? yes
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? only for this problem
- is s/he on any medications? Baytril

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat? no more than 1/2 c pellets daily, lettuce and escarole, orchard grass which he does not care for that much but likes it more than timothy hay
- when and what did s/he eat last? this morning, pellets
- any changes in the way s/he eats? (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc) I just changed his diet from alfalfa to timothy pellets and from timothy hay to orchard grass.

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? He seems to be kicking his back legs more now that he is peeing on himself.
- is the rabbit molting? No.
- any weight loss? Between March and September he went from 4 pounds to 3 and back up again.
- any sign of drooling? wet face? No
- runny eyes? No
- wet nose? coughing? sneezing? No
- is s/he breathing normally No

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? He pulled gum out of my open purse a few days ago and ate it. I kept an eye on him, but his bathroom habits and behavior did not change.
- has the rabbit been outdoors? no
- any other pets? if so, have they been ill? yes, parakeets, and they have not been ill.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

First of all I would make a list of questions that you want to ask the vet

Ask him if he did a blood panel and if he checked your rabbits kidney function?

Ask him why he is prescribing an antibiotic without evidence of an infection

Ask him what the results of the ecuniculi test were?

Some vets treat for ecuniculi based on symptoms rather than testing which is not always reliable. The treatment for e-cuniculi that is most often prescribed is a drug called panacur or fenbendazolewhich is inexpensive but not as effective as a drug usually used on horses called Marquis
Baytril would not be used.

Iam not sure what is going on with your rabbit and if you believe that your vet is unsure also let us know what state or country you are in and we can provide a list of vets for you so that you can possibly find someonewho can give you some more solidanswers.

I will definitely call the vet. I have seen a few lists of rabbit-savvy vets, but only one is slightly near me. I did do a lot of research before choosing this one. She has experience with small animals and exotics and sees lots of rabbits each week, but I'll definitely be checking out other vets, I guess the one on the House Rabbit society list. I used to go there, but I moved and now I am much farther, but it's looking like the drive will be worth it.

Anyway, she called about the ecuniculi a few weeks ago, that was negative. She had said he would have been on a dewormer (I THINK, I might be wrong) and Baytril. Why is it that people on here know so much more than the vets?

I will give her a call. If she does not give satisfactory answers, what questions should I ask new vets?

Once again, thank you very much.

The treatment with Marquis for e-cuniculi is really cutting edge treatment. We have a moderator (Randy ra7751)who is a wildlife rehabber and runs a rabbit rescue in North Carolina; he and his vets work with the University of North Carolina vet schooland much of the info we get is brought to us by him.

You may still be able to work with your vet if you can get some questions answered

What is she treating him for?

Also ask her about the blood work to check kidney function

If a rabbit shows no positive response to an antibiotic within 3-4 days then another one should be started. (That isif there is an infection at all)

to just keep reordering an antibiotic over and overwhen a rabbit is not responding to is:?

Most rabbits are resistant to baytril because the drug has been over used. A much better antibiotic is Zithromax .

if you go to new vets then just relate what the previous vet had done and let them go from there.

Latest posts

Back