Alternative therapies for animals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxysmummy

Reaction score
Has anyone dabbled in it?

I'm reading a fantastic book that deals with traditional approaches to rabbit medicine and then goes into alternative therapies.

a lot of them are quite expensive so i want to look into other peoples experiences before i start doing it.

some of them look really interesting (colour therapy) and some of them look really kooky (rabbit chanting) haha

[align=center]This sounds very interesting! What is the name of this book? I'd LOVE to read it!

Sorry, I know nothing on this topic XD

I practice holistic approaches with all my animals, I will try anything once, and I never go straight allopathic without trying several alternitive methods first..its never failed me yet lol

it's called "When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care - Traditional and Alternative Healing Methods" by Lucile C. Moore and Kathy Smith.

Lucile Moore has a Phd and has written another book on rabbits and has cared for over 750!!!!!! rabbits in her lifetime

Kathy Smith also wrote another book on rabbit health.

the book is amazing, it should almost be a pre-requisite for anyone with a disabled/elderbun (a huge portion of the book is dedicated to caring for disabled rabbits).

it also has a really comprehensive explanation of the diseases and illnesses facing rabbits and how to treat them etc.

such a good read and a really good reference to have on hand.

plus its only $20 in the us, in australia they were selling it for something like $48

itsazoo wrote:
I practice holistic approaches with all my animals, I will try anything once, and I never go straight allopathic without trying several alternitive methods first..its never failed me yet lol
oh fantastic! my mum and stepdad are massive hippies (mum is a physiotherapist and a trained reiki healer who has dabbled in some accupuncture) so i've always been brought up around it.

if you don't mind me asking, what sort of specific things have you tried? were they difficult to do? did you administer them yourself or did you go to a professional?

I almost did accupuntuire with my old lady dog Ladybug, her hips are in rough shape and the vet offered Matacam to help her out, I almost made an appointment for accupuncture but I read about using Tumeric first, and thats much cheaper, so I gave that a shot first..worked like a charm, has no side effects and costs $2 for a years supply lol I also give Hawthorn for Ladybugs heart failure as opposed to drugs, the stuff is awsome, she been going for more then 2 years now in heart failure and in fact many of her outward symtoms(hacking cough, struggling to breath) have stopped entirly. I have used many various herbs for different things over the years, they havent failed me yet. I am big into using diet to fix things..one of my BCs had a 4 inch mammery tumour, the first vet I saw was ready to cut her open then and there, I took her to my holistic vet instead, and she suggest a diet change first..within 2 weeks the tumour was completly gone and never came back. I keep Thuia beads and collodial Silver in my house at all times etc..

the only thing I do myself is herbs, I have my faverite clinic is owned by 2 vets, 1 is trained in homeopathy, chinese medicine and pretty much anything else you can think of, and the other is a animal chiropractor.

itsazoo wrote:
I almost did accupuntuire with my old lady dog Ladybug, her hips are in rough shape and the vet offered Matacam to help her out, I almost made an appointment for accupuncture but I read about using Tumeric first, and thats much cheaper, so I gave that a shot first..worked like a charm, has no side effects and costs $2 for a years supply lol I also give Hawthorn for Ladybugs heart failure as opposed to drugs, the stuff is awsome, she been going for more then 2 years now in heart failure and in fact many of her outward symtoms(hacking cough, struggling to breath) have stopped entirly. I have used many various herbs for different things over the years, they havent failed me yet. I am big into using diet to fix things..one of my BCs had a 4 inch mammery tumour, the first vet I saw was ready to cut her open then and there, I took her to my holistic vet instead, and she suggest a diet change first..within 2 weeks the tumour was completly gone and never came back. I keep Thuia beads and collodial Silver in my house at all times etc..

the only thing I do myself is herbs, I have my faverite clinic is owned by 2 vets, 1 is trained in homeopathy, chinese medicine and pretty much anything else you can think of, and the other is a animal chiropractor.
wow that's incredible!!! i live next door to a holistic vet but they charge $257 for a consult and almost never have rabbits :(

lol ya the holistic consults are not cheap, althogh in Misty's case with the tumor, its was a min. $800 to remove and test etc.. so the $120 I spent for a half hour consult with my holistic vet was worth every penny and saved me several hundred dollers lol

Kathy Smith is awesome! That is a fantastic book.

I haven't tried any alternative therapies except for fresh/frozen cranberries for urinary tract health (blueberries have also been found to be helpful) and fresh mint for upset tummies. I do not have an alternative vet in the area. However, I think Treasured Friend has done chiropractics and acupuncture for her two disabled buns. You could pm her to ask about her experiences.

One thing to keep in mind- if it ain't broke, don't fix it! No reason to add or change a bunch of stuff unless you are trying to help a bun with a problem.

OREO is re-doing its website...soon
I am hoping to start up a section on pet rabbit health focusing on holistic medicine...
One of our members is a certified Reiki master (humans and animals)and I am hopingto convince her and some of her colleagues toeach do a small section on their specialties.

Whether people think holistic medicine is real or a spoof...many people would like the option of being able to offer their pets the same options humans have...it is a fast growing...I was going to say industry...but that sounds crass! :)

I think it is good to be open and be able to explore all options...

Runestonez wrote:
OREO is re-doing its website...soon
I am hoping to start up a section on pet rabbit health focusing on holistic medicine...
One of our members is a certified Reiki master (humans and animals)and I am hopingto convince her and some of her colleagues toeach do a small section on their specialties.

Whether people think holistic medicine is real or a spoof...many people would like the option of being able to offer their pets the same options humans have...it is a fast growing...I was going to say industry...but that sounds crass! :)

I think it is good to be open and be able to explore all options...
my mum is certified in human reiki, would i be able to get her to do reiki on my animals or would she have to get specially qualified for that?

You'd have to check with her and see!:D
I'm not sure...I am assuming there would be a seperate workshop or course involved...
Different systems involved etc...

Hi Holly, your mom would certainly be able to perform Reiki on your animals. You can do it too! Even someone non initiated by a master can perform it. It's energy that we all have. My son and I both perform reiki on animals and I treat humans. We both can feel heat when we put our hands about a cm above the body whether it's human or an animal. When I feel the heat I know that's a problem area. So I lay my hands on those spots. I leave them there as long as my instinct tells me too. Rabbits respond quickly and love it. The cats seem to find it a bit too intense so I don't have to do it very long with them. I think they soak it up faster maybe? ;)
I reikied bunbun when he was dying and I'm sure that's what kept him going until we got to a vet.
If you think about it, it's very natural. With us ( humans) if we get a toothache most of us instantly put our hand over our cheek wherever the pain is.. or a headache we massage our own temples. If we bang our knee, we put put hand on it and say ow!
Animals don't have that luxury so they rely on us for healing touch. Give it a try! I think you'll be pleased with what you can do yourself :)
( it also increases the bond)
and remember reiki never ever harms only helps. if you do it yourself, have your mom teach you to protect yourself first. If i forget to, I always have an hour of the symptoms the person/animal has and they can be brutal.
(I'm a wee bit empathic ;)

tristaw. wrote:
Hi Holly, your mom would certainly be able to perform Reiki on your animals. You can do it too! Even someone non initiated by a master can perform it. It's energy that we all have. My son and I both perform reiki on animals and I treat humans. We both can feel heat when we put our hands about a cm above the body whether it's human or an animal. When I feel the heat I know that's a problem area. So I lay my hands on those spots. I leave them there as long as my instinct tells me too. Rabbits respond quickly and love it. The cats seem to find it a bit too intense so I don't have to do it very long with them. I think they soak it up faster maybe? ;)
I reikied bunbun when he was dying and I'm sure that's what kept him going until we got to a vet.
If you think about it, it's very natural. With us ( humans) if we get a toothache most of us instantly put our hand over our cheek wherever the pain is.. or a headache we massage our own temples. If we bang our knee, we put put hand on it and say ow!
Animals don't have that luxury so they rely on us for healing touch. Give it a try! I think you'll be pleased with what you can do yourself :)
( it also increases the bond)
and remember reiki never ever harms only helps. if you do it yourself, have your mom teach you to protect yourself first. If i forget to, I always have an hour of the symptoms the person/animal has and they can be brutal.
(I'm a wee bit empathic ;)
omg... i just did it to my really skittish rabbit who hates being touched. i did it on his back (where i felt heat) and after a minute or so i felt him relax... but for some reason i felt my hands needed to stay there, then i left them there a few seconds longer and he started chinning me! (bear in mind this is the rabbit who hates me, runs away from me, has scared wide open eyes when he sees me, nips me if i pat him...

I'm so happy for you both!! :) you might find he starts looking for you for this treatment. My cats do that. My older cat has shoulder issues on occasion, one shoulder is hot when I go to pat her and so I reiki that shoulder often. On rainy days, she comes and sits in front of me as if to say, " ok, mama I need a treatment" ;)

tristaw. wrote:
I'm so happy for you both!! :) you might find he starts looking for you for this treatment. My cats do that. My older cat has shoulder issues on occasion, one shoulder is hot when I go to pat her and so I reiki that shoulder often. On rainy days, she comes and sits in front of me as if to say, " ok, mama I need a treatment" ;)
its so weird, normally he hates me but he was running around on the bed and every time llew went to pick him up to go back to his hutch, he kept darting under my arm and nuzzling into me !

[align=center]I just read about the reiki thing you guys are talking about, and my rabbit Sabriel broke his leg today, and I've been playing healing reiki music for a long while.

But now I'm going to do the reiki you were talking about.. So glad I read this.

Wish me luck!, Sabriel needs it <3

tristaw. wrote:
Yield, it should help with the pain until he gets to the vet..poor little man :( that's so scary..

[align=center]We took him to the vet as soon as it happened and as soon as we were able to find a vet. I am playing healing music to help his healing in general =]

Latest posts

Back