Also, I'd like to start a rabbit rescue in my area

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The-Family-O

Reaction score
I have been thinking about it, and I have talked it over with my husband, and I would really like to open a rabbit rescue.

I understand it will be a lot of my own money for a great deal of it, but I was hoping to hear from anyone that could help me to research this even more. I have found a lot of rabbit rescues, but not much on what I would need to do aside from finding a building, investing some money, etc...

Any and all advice would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

I would research the need in the area. The biggest issue is getting enough volunteers especially fosters. You need to be a 501 3(C) if you want to get grants and other donations. You really need to keep meticulous records.

You will need to register federally and with your state, I believe. You don't have to have a building to run a rescue. Most of the ones I've known were done out of someone's home. Once you register you'll be eligible for tax exemption on any products bought for the rescue like food and hay and cages. You can even get a tax credit if you keep track of your mileage for driving to buy supplies, rescue animals, and transport them to and from foster homes and pet store adoption drives. Make sure that you keep meticulous records. Scan all receipts into your computer and print a hard copy. If something happens you'll need your receipts to show that what you bought was for the rescue. I believe that to be a non-profit you also have to draft a business plan for what happens to the money if the rescue dissolves.

ETA: Keep all receipts and records for at least 7 years. If something happens with taxes you'll need to have proof in case the IRS has to audit you for some reason.

Latest posts

Back