allow myself to introduce....myself!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtbyMollie

Reaction score
newbie from southwestern Michigan here!

first off Hello to everyone! I am new here (I've been lurking for a bit now) and I figured that it was time I introduce myself.

I have owned several pocket pets including guinea pigs, gerbils, hamsters, and of course my beloved rats! but I have never owned a rabbit but I have always wanted one. a friend of mine raised them for the local 4h fair and she "gave" me a rabbit but my parents would never let me bring him home :(. so here I am getting ready to move to a place of my own, well by getting ready to move its a few months away. and I can FINALLY GET A RABBIT OF MY OWN!:inlove:

so here come the questions:

1. I want to free range my rabbit but for when I am at work I would need a home for it just to be sure that it wouldn't get itself into trouble. so cage suggestions!
I was planning on building a NIC cage (being as I already have cubes from my old guinea pig CandC cage) this is the one I was thinking of making http://rabbitcondo.com/moredetails.htm

anyone have any experience with this one? Is it terriably huge? also I was wondering what kind of modifications could be done to prevent litter/hay spillage into my room my piggie was bad about flinging her hay!

2. I have been researching for what seems like for ever but if anyone has any tips and pointers they have experience with their own bunnies please feel free to share!

3. picking a breed. I have always wanted a lop! but I am looking for a small breed. being as I wont have a whole lot of space for a giant cage! also I am hoping for a breed that is friendly quick to cuddle, and easy to litter train!

phew!

thanks for listning! hope to hear from you all soon!

Mollie

:helloand :welcome1to RabbitsOnline. I am glad you found the site. RO is a very active, friendly and helpful website devoted to rabbits and their slaves.

NIC cages can be made anyway you want, the only limit is your creativity. Just build it to fit in the space you have.

Holland Lops are very good bunny's and with wonderful personalities. They are 2-3 pounds.

Here are some good links to areas of the site you might find interesting, the Library section, full of good reference info, Bunny Blog, where you can keep everyone up to date on your bunny and your life as a bunny slave and if you bunny would like to ask questions of other buns the Bunny Chat is the spot to be. The regional forum is a good way to find a rabbit savvy vet or to post places where you get some of your supplies for your bun etc. For the lighter side and to give you a chuckle or two stop by the go to the Let Your Hare Down section for anything but bunny's.

Here is link to the rules of the site, light reading Rabbits Online Forum Rules.

You don't have to say what city your in but if you could update your profile withthe areayour in, may be likeNorth west Ohio, Canada, UK etc, that would help others provide you with info that may help you and your bunny.

If you would like to post pictures in your post this link How to put photo's in your posts will help explain that.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with info. This is a wonderful site and I look forward to seeing pictures and reading some stories.

Dave

:hug: Hi! This site is the best for rabbit information and many different opinions. Welcome!

1. NIC cage's are the absolute best. Just make sure you have lots of zip ties. As for litter spilling and hay flinging, I just use a cheap hand held vacuum (or a shop vac for the monthly hardcore cage cleaning) to get up the messes. Quick and easy.

2. Try to adopt a rabbit that has already been spayed or neutered. It'll save both of you much stress. Plus, the rabbit is easier to train.

3. Honestly, I don't believe breed has anything to do with behavior. Bayou and my boyfriend's bunny Veko are brothers and they couldn't be more different. Others may know more about that though.

Welcome!! :wave:

May I suggest adopting a bunny from a rescue organization? They usually try to litter train the bunnies before they are adopted. And you could also go in to meet all of their available rabbits to see which you like best (ie. which is cuddliest/friendliest). That's what I did for my first bun and I am very glad I did. :)

Since you said lop you can look for a holland lop they are the smallest of the lops. I have one and shes awsome but every rabbit is different. I would also say adopt cause they spay/nuetuer them and they will almost always already be potty trained.

RexLovables wrote:
I like Mini rex, they have such cute faces and the SOFTEST fur!!!!!!! And they are so sweet too!

I would have to say that they are one of my favourites also - even if i dont have any yet:biggrin2:

Welcome to the site Molllie and i hope that you get your bunny soon. Im new heretoo.

Liz:wave:

Hello, and welcome. I am also from michigan. The best places to get rabbits from are from breeders or rescues. If you are looking for something specific breed wise a breeder would be your best bet. There is a show coming up in coldwater on july tenth. Its a night show worth checking out. At the branch county 4h fairgrounds.

As far as free ranging goes, be sure you do alot of research on it, and make sure the bunny is in a predator proof area. And a cage it can't escape from.

Latest posts

Back