Allow me to RE-introduce myself...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandomWiktor

Critter Keeper
Reaction score
Let me start with what I don't want to talk about: my previous rabbits. Via a combination of a very traumatic bout of contagious illness and the re-homing of those not impacted, I have been more or less bunny-less for approximately two years. Everything that happened was so profoundly upsetting that I've been avoiding rabbits and all things rabbit-oriented - including this forum - like the plague. I have had two foster rabbits very briefly, both times unavoidable since they were strays, but I have generally directed people needing bunny aid elsewhere.

Until today.

I was out shopping and poked my head into a pet store, where there was a cute baby bunny that I spent a good deal of time longingly watching. I did not get him; I do not buy rabbits, least of all from stores. But it was interesting that in the same day that I really looked at a rabbit without feeling completely put-off and traumatized for the first time in years, I also got a message about a sweet little Netherland dwarf bunny left at a high-kill municipal shelter who was very stressed by the loud and chaotic shelter environment.

I found myself driving an hour to go retrieve the rabbit.

Will I be keeping the bunny? Who knows - the tentative arrangement right now is foster. In the mean time, I'm back to brush up on rabbits, network with some fellow Alabama/Southern rabbit lovers, and hopefully find a recommended local vet to get the little one fixed. Oh, and to share pictures, which will be forthcoming.

Nice to see "y'all" again.

Last edited:
Welcome!

What a great way to get back into Rabbit ownership (potentially)! Hopefully you enjoy having your new Bun with you. Hope to see some photos soon! :D

Hello and welcome to the forum, good on you for rescuing the bun from that situation.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I also have three bottle-baby cottontails, probably a scotch over a week old, who came from the same facility. Those will be leaving at weaning if they survive - they were so thin/dehydrated that I am not overly hopeful and didn't bother even mentioning them yesterday, but they did make it through the night! For some reason wild rabbits don't come with the same emotional baggage for me, however. (Don't worry, I have been licensed for wildlife rehab since I was sixteen.)

Pics later, or I may restart a Bunny Blog as people seemed to enjoy the last one :)

Back