Allergies to hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyrabbit12345

Reaction score
My daughter I think might be allergic to the bunnies hay we giver her oxbow timothy hay what do you guess recommend that is good for a rabbit but is less likely to cause allergy problems ?

Another RO member is allergic to timothy, but is fine with orchard grass hay, so that is what they use. Might just need to try some different types like orchard, meadow, oat, brome, bermuda, etc to see if one of those will work without causing the allergy problems.

Keeping the hay more contained may help. There are some neat feeders around that are wooden with a hole so the rabbit can eat, but hay doesn't get everywhere. A bigger one can mean you don't have to fill it as often.
A different type may help. As long as it isn't alfalfa, it should be fine to give. Nice, fresher hay can be better as well as it may be less dusty and just easier on allergies.
Keeping the area clean can help a lot. Regular vaccuming, and having a hepa filter can really make a big difference. Try to clean when your daughter isn't around to avoid having an issue with the little particles being thrown up.

I know we had one member with allergies who would shake all her hay out while she was outside and wearing a mask and found that that helped. You might also consider the new Oxbow stacks products since they're supposed to be less dusty, but they're still Timothy so if that's the problem it might not help.
I definitely second the recommendation to try different varieties of hay; it's easiest if you find one she isn't sensitive to.

Latest posts

Back