All I want for Christmas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWAF

Reaction score
PICT01511dwithmessage.jpg

Remember not to give pets as gifts at Christmas, or any other time. Adults should always be responsible for the family pets and should be able to commit to them for their lifetime, which could be long after the children have left home. Additionally, rabbits can be more expensive to care for properly than you would think, estimates are between £9,000 - £11,000 for their lifetime - and that is without unexpected vet bills!

Vet costs can mount up, Claire King told us, "Saxon's bill came to around £10,000, and consisted of 2 ureteral calculi (one each side), bilateral lateral ear resections, including 2 CT scans, 2 referral practices, liver cysts with 6-8 weekly ultrasound scans for 3 years, bucal salivary gland infection and removal and in the end an exlap when he was diagnosed with liver tumours which proved inoperable."

Not a cheap children's pet at all!

The RWAF's friend Phyllis O'Beollain in Ohio has written about exactly the same thing here http://www.examiner.com/small-pets-...r-christmas-gifts?CID=examiner_alerts_article

I really wish some adults would be more mature in their decision making when it comes to a pet.

We often talked about getting another rabbit (we had one many years ago), but when we got down to the math of it there was no way.

If we didn't have to find new homes for our two cats (our baby is allergic), there would have been no budget for a bun.

Someone I used to know said they had the worst gift ever and I think they might have. Someone gave their child cat that was going to have kittens so they could see the miracle of birth :shock:

eclairemom wrote:
Someone I used to know said they had the worst gift ever and I think they might have. Someone gave their child cat that was going to have kittens so they could see the miracle of birth :shock:
:foreheadsmack::craziness

eclairemom wrote:

What the :Xis wrong with people!?! If they want to see the miracle of birth, watch animal planet! They show birth and development of dogs and cats at least once a week. It is an hour commitment and you can turn it off if they get bored. A cat or rabbit is a living being, with many needs for a very long time (particularly in kid time)!

:banghead

Back