Ali's Hot Topic

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people in my family are fairly understanding of my love for rabbits, at least when I'm around. My mom is very supportive, as is my cousin.
A few relatives have commented about how much money I spend on my rabbits. I just tell them how I spend my money is my business, not theirs. Besides, I

As for friends.......I've never had a ton of friends, for whatever reason. If I had a friend who made jokes about eating or hurting my rabbits, I would have no problem dropping them like a hot potato. I have rabbits instead of children, and I love them like nothing else. Any person who would disrespect me by making jokes like that is not worth my time. I really have no tolerance for anyone who thinks it is fun to make jokes, or say things, that are obviously meant to be rude, irritate, upset, or hurt another person. It doesn't matter if it's said in a joking manner, it's still hurtful. If that's your thing, I don't want to be around you.
(I'm ok with generalities, but not one-on-one.)

I am also not above writing off relatives if they were to do that. My SIL once made a bunny-stew joke, and I refused to be anywhere near her until she apologized. I did not make a big fuss about it, or get in her face or whatever. (Though I may have made a retaliatory comment about eating one of her cats...) I just declined to participate in any activity she was involved in. Finally, my husband told her what was up, she apologized, and hasn't said anything since.

As for strangers......I know it's important to educate, but as soon as someone is rude to me, I'm done with them.

Wow, I love and hate and love this thread! Thanks Ali!:hug:

You all have some crazy stories! I've gotten pretty p*ssed in the past, had one friend actually come up and apologize to me by saying "I'm gonna be a man and admit I was wrong." Awesome.

Have a fellow bowler who jokes alot, but when I got ticked, he said, I'm just kidding, I had rabbits as a kid, I was like, what??!!

Then another guy who means well and is always just kidding. He comes in to the bowling alley to visit, I walk up to him and tell him about how I'm gonna be doing somepracticing with the Mgr, who I've known all my life, to start staring at a mark, instead of "area bowling". He said I should just put a rabbit tail out on the lane, but that was funny to me!;)

Oh, yes, the Hausenfeffer comments, got to love those. By BIL called my first rabbit "Hass" to tease me. He'd ask if we needed any potatoes or carrots, ugh, I let him have it and he calmed down.;)

Going out of the way to upset someone really bothers me. Why? Ugh. Anymore you know what I say? If they have any pets, I say well let's do that to yourcat dog, whatever.Haha. They shut up real quick.:p

Many people say the keeping an animal gives bad smell in the house.
I found out that's totally wrong, even in a small flat, if you keep your bunny clean and healthy it will not smell bad I think...

Many people ask me "doesn't it smell bad?"
So I tell them: if you keep it clean it won't smell bad. If you for example stop taking showers won't you smell bad too?

There are people who might not understand maybe because they don't want to, I just ignore them. I respect their opinion but i don't have to agree with them :)

thankfully all my friends love bunnies or at least they don't mind it.

PS: sorry for any bad grammar...

PPS: hello everyone, im new here :)

This is a great topic! This hasn't been a problem for me but I get the question every now and then about why I got rabbits. I tend to stay pretty vague and just say they have a lot of personality, but they're hard to read so it takes a lot of time to learn how they communicate.

The food jokes I have to shrug off, but I'm in no way against eating rabbits. If I wanted to be insensitive right back I'd say, "Ya cool, let's make them appetizers for when we eat your children." I haven't had to pull that one out yet though.

As far as rabbit stew jokes and what not, they don't bother me that much. Sometimes when I'm aggravated I tell Bayou that if he doesn't stop, I'm going to turn him into a pair of shoes. :shock:

I lecture anyone who will listen about rabbit care. Most of the people I talk to find it think it's awesome that I'm so passionate. I only get frustrated when people who don't know jack about rabbits, say things like, "Oh, they wouldn't make cages/food/treats/ect for rabbits if they weren't good for them! Why are you so picky? It's just a rabbit blah blah blah."

McDonald's is marketed for people, but that doesn't make it perfectly healthy for you. I've done more than a year of research about rabbits and I spend about 3+ hours on a forum dedicated SPECIFICALLY for rabbits a day. I don't claim to be a freaking veterinarian, but I do know a thing or two about bunny rabbits. Don't make me smack you. :grumpy:

To be honest, I don't really care/get mad when people don't understand my love of rabbits or any other animal and make disparaging remarks about my companions. I pity them, because in their ignorance, they're missing out on a lot. I might smile and share some fun facts to point out the more interesting aspects of the species, but if they're being willfully ignorant and rude, I normally just laugh and make a remark to the tune of "Man, if ignorance is bliss, you must be on cloud 9 right now" then go on my merry way.

Bump Bump Bump

I also wanted to add IIIIIIIIIII LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS
BBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

hehe I just wanted to say my dad is officially converted!

Lulu came with me to visit and she was such a ham. It was like she new he was considering helping me purchase her a really nice new hutch.

She hopped right up to him (which is something she never does with strangers) and pressed her nose into his leg. It was just about the cutest thing. I could basically see him melting.

So we have one less bunny skeptic.

I get the rabbit eating comments all the time! Especially from one of my uncles, asking stuff like ''How come you haven't eaten that rabbit yet?'' ''You know, your not supposed to name your food?'' and ''Oh those baby rabbitslook almost big enough for eating!''. To be honest, it doesn't bother me. I know he is only joking, and plus I live in Ireland, where everyone jokes about everything, and if you don't have a sense of humour you might as well move lol! So I just take it in my stride, laugh, hug the bunny/bunnies he is talking about and pretend to cover their ears.

No one I know in real life understands my love for bunnies, I know three people with bunnies, and all of them think they know way more about them because they have them longer. Like my friends bunny is about to have babies, I'm like you should take out the male you know? Her Mother was like ''Oh no your not supposed to, she'll get upset'' and when I got Misty off them, they said, to Misty ''Your going to a good home now where you can live with a nice, new man''. They basically told me to put her living with Thumper so she could breed. Even to this day, they ask me has she had babies for me yet. My uncle, trys to lecture me on rabbits too, cause ''he knows everything about everything'' or so he thinks, and the stuff he says is not anywhere near the truth.

There is no point telling them I have done hoursofresearch online and I go on rabbit forums, cause all I will get is crazy looks and get called ''anti social'' and a ''loner'' because I talk to people online, even though I have a ton of good friends and a boyfriend. Yeah, very anti social :grumpy:plus there is absolutely no point pointing out to adults proper rabbit care, with my own rabbits or theres because oh, of course nothing I say is right, they are right, cause I'm only 16 and of course know nothing.

Rant over! :p

Bump Bump bump

I Love Bunnys

Surprisingly I rarely get any comments from people who "don't get it". Rabbits are pretty well accepted pets... Of course, I do get FAR more grief and "...WHAT?" when I say I have dogs, rabbits, and RATS. When you've had rats for pets you become pretty thick skinned and less likely to irritate if someone says something about your pets. :p Practically no one gets rats! LMAO But bunnies seem logical and normal to most people.

Of course... I did name one of my rabbits Breakfast. That has lead to some comments. But mostly "You're going to EAT him!?" comments, and horrified looks. Then I explain he is most definitely a PET rabbit, and we have never had plans to eat him, haha.

Well My dad made a comment about Jessi because she is bigger then Storm, he got a ear full.

Oh Bump

Well I have to take back my almost never. Was at the Farm and Home and holding a rabbit while looking over the pullets/chicks, and some farmer guy walks by and says "Well those chickens are almost big enough for eating!" Then his eyes flicked to me and he goes "Rabbits too". And I lost it on him. LOUDLY. Suckfest weeks do not equal a sane and happy Cait. Do not mess with her.

SunnyCait wrote:
Well I have to take back my almost never. Was at the Farm and Home and holding a rabbit while looking over the pullets/chicks, and some farmer guy walks by and says "Well those chickens are almost big enough for eating!" Then his eyes flicked to me and he goes "Rabbits too". And I lost it on him. LOUDLY. Suckfest weeks do not equal a sane and happy Cait. Do not mess with her.
:DSome how I wish I was there watching....

Sometimes I wish there were cameras following me, I'm sure people would pay to watch the insanity/hilarity/drama LMAO!!!!

My wife was mortified.

Latest posts

Back