Alfalfa

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity

Reaction score
Zoie our bunbun is 3 months old and has beeneating alfalfa mixed in her timothy hay and meadow mix.. the onlyproblem is Im really really allergic to it. I want to wean her off ofit but was told to give it to her until she is 6 months old. Would itbe okay to not give her alfalfa?

I'm not going to advise you of anything, but Ican tell you that we have never given our babies alfalfa. Well, we didtry with somebut they didn't like it. And none of them havehad any problems :)

Alfalfa hay is not necessary as long as a youngrabbit is on Alfalfa based pellets. I've only ever put one rabbit onAlfalfa hay when they were young, the rest all just got Timothy hay andAlfalfa pellets.

I've had my two buns grow up without ever eatingalfalfa and they grew up into two very healthy buns so I don't thinkit's necessary, however I have heard a lot of advice saying that it isbetter for younger buns. I have to sayit always puzzles me abit as in the UK we don't have alfalfa based pellets and rarely findalfalfa hay so most young buns grow up eating adult pelletsandother types of hayand do just fine,sopersonally I don't think they need it. However that is justmy two cents.;)

But my guess is you were adding veggies, right?They also contain calcium and you need to feed a lot more veggiescompared to pellets so they still are getting it. (What is the calciumcontent of your pellets?)

It's not required I don't think but I think the extra calcium is a goodidea to make the bones as strong as they can be while growing. I'd beconcerned about them not getting enough and having weak bones or thepossibility of dental problems (linked to calciumdeficiency)so I still think Alfalfa pellets are a good ideafor a young rabbit.

My guys got alfalfa hay and timothy pelletsgrowing up - and they are both very active and healthy. Ithink switching them off the alfalfa hay should be fine as long as theyare getting a balanced diet otherwise.

Latest posts

Back