Alfalfa Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavendertealatte

Reaction score
Bunster is about 6 months old now. Do I have to switch her from alfalfa to timothy pellets? Unfortunately I bought a huge bag of alfalfa pellets and I'd like to keep using them if it's okay. I think Bunster is starting to get a bit overweight though, so I will at least decrease the amount of pellets I'm giving her but I wonder if I can keep her on alfalfa. The bag says it's for rabbits up til 1 year old, but Holland Lops reach adulthood faster than bigger rabbits.

6 months is just an average age to make the switch over, but when to do it can vary with each rabbit. I would just finish out the bag and when it gets close to being done with, have the timothy pellets handy so you can mix them with the alfalfa pellets and gradually make the transition over a couple of weeks time.

My rabbits all get a complete diet alfalfa pellet. As long as the rest of their diet isn't too high energy or high in calcium (less treats, and hay given should be timothy or grass, not alfalfa) and you restrict intake (I give 1/3 cup/day) they should be good. However, if your feed says for rabbits under 1 year old, I wouldn't use it for adult rabbits. I'd probably avoid it for young rabbits too, just personally. If you want to switch her over to timothy based pellets though, now would be a good time.

Back