Alfalfa Hay Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XxMontanaxX

Reaction score
http://bunspace.com/forum_thread?tid=43

I seen that topic on bunspace, so now I'm wondering.

Do I need to switch Keira to alfalfa hay?

Since I'm guessing she's about 3 months old maybe?

If so, when do Iput her off alfalfa and on timothy? Like what age?

She's been on timothy hay, which I thought you was suppose to feed all rabbits no matter the age. :?

Thanks

alfalfa is important for growing rabbits i believe. but alfalfa is linked to calcium crystals in their urine after a long period of use, so be careful how long you use it. my guess would be to consult with someone who breeds buns to see how long they use it.

my vet told me absolutely no more alfalfa for nemo, and he will be a year old next month. sooo...that's about as much as i know :)

tracy

I have fed all the babies that have come through my house timothy hay from birth to weaning with no problems. Alfafa can be given to young babies, but any hay will do.

Alfafa has higher protien, but if you are already feeding a good quality pellet with about 16% protien or more, then you don't need the extra from the hay.

--Dawn

Dawn is absolutely right on this, a high quality pellet will suffice for an over 6-mos old bunny (at least, this is what most of the bibliography supports).

As far as alfalfa is concerned, what can I say (not being a nutritionist)? In various occasions I've read all sorts of controversial things: a) it's high in protein, don't feed to adult rabbits, b) only the cubes and hay are high in protein, fresh form is fine, as calcium is in such a diluted percentage, because of the water content, that it can do no harm to a rabbit, d) today, actually, I read in another forum somebody claiming that alfalfa in any form is good also for adult rabbits...

The everlasting mystery of rabbit diet!

Marietta

Back