Alfalfa hay...bad?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovethetailyall

Reaction score
I work at a barn..my boss gave me a bale ofalfalfa hay..but i just fould out that they shouldent have it??Why??andwhat hay should they have then?

Alfalfa is fine for young bunnies, but it can make older ones fat.

Timothy or other grass hays are the best choices for adult rabbits.

Yeah that ^^^^But it can be fed in moderationand mixed in with the other hay.It should be more of a treat than areal part of their diet.If you dont want to keep it im sure your localanimal shelter would LOVE it for the younger or malnourished rabbits.

OK i only have a garbage bag so i might as welluse it up! But i heard that alfalfa hay gave bladder stones??:?i dontknow where i heard it but i did!

lovethetailyall wrote:
OK i only have a garbage bag so i might as well use it up!But i heard that alfalfa hay gave bladder stones??:?i dont know where iheard it but i did!
Alfalfa has a high calcium content and can cause bladderproblems and problems with stones. It also has a higherprotein content than grass hays and may be more protein than adultrabbits need. I found it gave my adult rabbits runny poops,even small amounts of it.

It's fine for baby bunnies and youngsters but I wouldn't recommend it for adults.

http://www.mahouserabbit.org/newsletter/calcium.asp

Latest posts

Back