Alfalfa for a starving rescue bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB Millicent

Reaction score
I am fostering a rescue bun that was taken from a hoarder. She was one of 114 buns who were severely neglected and starving and living on wire. :(

She got spayed 6 days ago and is doing well from that. She is extremely thin, and I don't know how old she is (but they are guessing less than a year, she's pretty tiny).

My job is to fatten her up. She is devouring timothy and oat hays, and lots of greens and apple slice treats. She doesn't know what pellets are and acts confused when I put them in her cage. In the meantime, do you think alfalfa will fatten her up? I have some fresh alfalfa hay from a local feed store and she really likes it, but I'm not sure if it will harm her if she gets too much. I know it's for baby bunnies, but until what age?

Thanks for any suggestions!

The alfalfa is until their bones are fully grown; it provides needed calcium at that stage. If she's past that but underweight, I'd go with something else, with the calories but not calcium, such as apple or banana slices.

The problem with alfalfa is the calcium and protein content is really high and should only be used with growing bunnies up to six months. You could try mixing the hay and stuff in with the pellets. If you do give her alfalfa, watch for sludge.

How long have you had her?
It will take her a while to gain the weight back, and you definitely don't want to make her gain it back too quickly.

You can buy Calf Manna and add a little bit to her food and that will help with her condition. Black Oil Sunflower Seeds will work also, but don't give too many as they are also a heating food and will warm her up.

I'm actually really surprised that a rabbit from a hoarder doesn't know what pellets are, but is willingly eating the greens! But perhaps she has all that other good stuff and so she isn't touching them because of that?

Emily

Latest posts

Back