Alex doesnt like alfalfa hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manda

Reaction score
he is 6-7 months old now and suddenly he doesnt want alfafla hay anymore. if i put alfalfa in his cage he will NOT eat it. it will just set there until i dump it out and put in timothy hay. i even mixed the two hays together and he still refuses to eat alfalfa hay. he would rather go hungery (he never does, he is still getting unliimited pellets)

also, Ryo is near two years old. cant she have some alfalfa as a treat? she is on timothy hay and timothy pellets both

(sorry for the typo in the topic, i couldnt edit it out!!)

If he doesn'twant to eat it, it's not critical that he does. At this age, timothy is probably actually healthier for him (if he'll eat it). What is the hay in his pellets? If it's alfalfa, then this is enough for him, he'll get enough protien if he's still growing from this. Nothing to worry about, just give him more timothy hay :).

If your bun doesn't have any problems with bladder sludge, weight ect. then it would be fine to feed her some as a treat. Although Pepsi has a bit of a weight issue, I still give her a bit every so often for a treat.

Seeing as how both my older boys are on Timothy hay and alfalfa pellets, it's fine to give alfalfa hay as a treat. I even gave my boys alfalfa as a treat even though they are on alfalfa pellets.

As for the rabbit not eating alfalfa, not to worry, you can feed Timothy. It's not a big deal and I was advised by a vet that it's ok for a 6 month old rabbit on be on Timothy hay.

thanks. i was pretty sure it was no big deal for him to not eat alfalfa. he has alfalfa pellets anyway.

but i wonder if its okay for me to start limiting them. id like him to be changed to timothy pellets a bit earlier so when him and Ryo are bonded they will have the same diet. i cant feed one rabbit unlimited alfalfa pelletsand the other 1 4th a cup a day of timothy pellets.

is it to early for me to limit his pellets and introduce the timothy pellets?

i have been working on it over four months!

and they are just now not trying to tear fur off of each other in nuetral territory (all the way outside)

so i still have a few months (i think)

My rabbits loved Alfalfa hay until they got Timothy. They wouldn't touch it again. I think they just prefer the Timothy. Your rabbit should get the nutrition it needs from the pellets. I don't think it's a requirement they have the alfalfa.

Latest posts

Back