Albinoism

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamgal042

Reaction score
I take Ivory for walks outside all the time. thekids (and adults) who see him ask why he has red eyes. I think you'veall seen pictures of Ivory...he's albino, i think, isnt he? white allover with red eyes? or is that just a breed? anyway..the secondquestion i get in relation to that is regarding how well he can see. ifhe is albino, does that impair his vision at all? or can he see justfine?

Here's a picture in case you havent seen him...

tn_109-0930_IMG.jpg

It seems like I heard somewhere thatthey don't see as well, or their eyes are more sensative to light, butI'm not sure about that. Sweetpea has pink eyes and he seems to seejust as well as Junior. Maybe that is an old wives tale.

Dreamgal -Your bunny is very much likemy troop and sometimes albinos can't see as well. I don't know if youhave noticed your Ivory doing this but my babies "scan"( where theymove thier head from side to side). We thought it was an inner earproblem but what we were told is that as albinos can't focus as wellthey scan to bring things clear. (not sure if this is the case - butthis is what I was told :))

What breed is he? He looks identical to mine. We were told PolishDwarfs but since coming on here we have found out they are not:psilly petshop!

we were told dwarf too, but wh en i got home ilooked online for info about them, and i realized his ears are biggerthen a dwarfs...asked on here and people told me a mix.

Complete Albinism is a simple recessive gene inrabbits (which means both parents must carry the gene for the offspringto be an albino) -- Albinism is the the lowest on the "totempole" of genes in the C series for rabbits which also includes thechinchilla, shaded and himalayan genes. All the recessivegeneslimit yellow pigmentdevelopmentinthe coat as well aslimiting (to varying degrees)black pigment.

Yes, eyesight is compromised in albinos.

Genetics as well as diseases are my primary area of interests in the "rabbit habit" :)

Pam

wow pam..youre really smart....wanna try thatagain in english? ;)i understood the recessive part cuz welearned genetics in bio this year, but nothing about the totem polethingy...

dreamgal042 wrote:
wow pam..youre really smart....wanna try that again inenglish? ;)i understood the recessive part cuz we learnedgenetics in bio this year, but nothing about the totem polethingy...

The "totem pole" was just an analogy comparing the descending or ofdominance of genes in the C series (C, cchd, cchl, ch andc). There are 5 primary gene series (A, B, C, D, E)as well as other coat color and coat pattern genes. A rabbitinherites 1 gene per series from each parent. The C series isone of the most complex and it is theorized that another gene in thatseries may exist.

Some genes may be dominant or recessive depending on their place in the"totem pole". For instance, the Himalayan gene is dominant tothe Albino gene (does not exhibit complete dominance over the albinogene as the heterozygous has faded point color), but recessive to theother genes in the C series.

Pam

DaisyNBuster wrote:
WOW Pam have you ever though about being a Bunny Vet youcould make a fortune :)
Like most little girls who love animals, I had always dreamed of beinga vet. But real life set in and Ibecame amother at 18. Life has taken me in the very rewardingdirection of being a "stay at home" mother to 4 children, as well asstill enjoying my love of animals and sharing that interest withothers.

Pam

DaisyNBuster wrote:
What breed is he? He looks identical to mine. We were toldPolish Dwarfs but since coming on here we have found out they are not:psilly petshop!

yes silly pet shop indeed that is funny i belive it was pamthat said they all tell you that everyone is a drwarf, well whatevermix or breed of buns they are , they are tooo cute!

i was told lyla was a dwarf,(she is a holland lop) and i did my reserchand found that to be true pam caould you tell me what age they stopgrowing? she still is tiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnny lol and i love her thatway:Dthe women at the pet shop showed me the mini lops andsaid that she would be as big as they were and they were 8 weeks butthey were huge like maybe 5 pounds there was nothing mini about them

gjsara wrote:

i was told lyla was a dwarf,(she is a holland lop) and i did my reserchand found that to be true pam caould you tell me what age they stopgrowing?

The small breeds usually reach their full size by 6 months of age.

Pam

Apollo is albino. One thing I noticed is thathis eyes are sensitive to sunlight. I noticed him squinting and turninghis head all the time. I finally bought him a hat to wear. The nexttime I took him to the park, I put the hat on, and he loved it. No Moresquinting, he runs and plays now instead of hiding his pretty face.

Tina

Hey Tina,

this is Tina from Miami Beach, Florida. I read your messageand I was wondering where to find to heads forbunnies. I have a little bunny, too, and she lovesto play but can't stand the sun too much.

So, I hope to hear from you - thanks for the idea.

Best,

Tina

Hi! I actually found mine at Petco. I just bought one of those hats meant for a small dog.

Another idea is to do like Buck Jones does. He goes to the DollarStore, yard sales, etc., and buys stuffed animals with little hats on.He removes the hats, cuts holes for the ears and I believe he atachesties to them. If I'm wrong about the ties part I apologize Buck. Youcan also modify hats that they sell for dolls.

If your bunny is small I would try Buck's idea or the doll idea.Apollo is rather large his hat is a bit big on him. I use it though cuzI know he is going to grow into it LOL.

Tina

Latest posts

Back