Albino rabbit is developing color?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lozeldatkm

Reaction score
This doesn't seem like much of a health issue, but no one has said anything in the general rabbit chat, so here goes. My Albino Flemish Giant has, in the last month or so, started getting some gray fur on her nose, ears, and tail. She's 8 months now, and had previously always been white, and I assumed albinos always stayed that way. Her parents were gray and brown. Has anyone ever heard of an albino gaining coloration later in life? How much more will she fill out? Her nose looks a little funny as it is right now.

Sounds like our girl Lilli--she's a lop/californian mix with a patch near her nose and some highlighting on her ears. Its gets darker or lighter each time she goes thru a shed. I've had some darker rabbits get white spots too. Is yours a true albino--white iris so the eyes look red?

Yes, her eyes are completely red/pink. Someone in the other forum suggested the possibility of a Californian mix, which does sort of seem to fit, but she's definitely growing like a Flem. And she comes from a gray mother and a brown father, both just as huge. I'll have pictures later tonight.

Alright, so I put together some pictures to show what I mean. This is Stella at about 4-6 weeks old. Notice she is entirely white.
stella2.jpg

And this is her no more than two months ago.
img-20131008-100922-0.jpg

The following images were taken today, clearly showing coloration on her fur just now developing at around 7-8 months old.
hni-0083.jpg

hni-0086.jpg

hni-0087.jpg

So I see what people were talking about, her possibly being a Californian mix, but development-wise that just doesn't make much sense. She still has red albino eyes and both her parents were dark-colored flems. Also her paws have no color at all. So what could be going on here?

Latest posts

Back