Albino genes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyNBuster

Reaction score
Home of the white rabbits, , United Kingdom
I am interested, if one was to breed an albinofemale with a rabbit ofdifferent colours, say a black rabbit.Would allthe babiesbe albino or would we get somealbinos and some mixed colours or maybe no albinos at all? Is albino adominant gene or would it be the black or even blank and white? Whatabout the red eyes?I am very curious to know this. In anotherposts we have mentioned genetics, but I have always wondered aboutalbinos.

Thanks

Vickie

PS - I'm not getting ideas about breeding Daisy again! Or maybe I am;). Anyway I wouldn't.I would just like to know if analbinowould just have albino babies or if there is apossibility of a mix.

Genetics questions are so fun!

The albino gene in rabbits is a recessive gene in the "C" series, sothe rabbit must inherit a copy of the gene from each parent to be analbino.

Think of the albino rabbit as a colored rabbit -- then place a whitesheet over the rabbit -- it still has all the color genes, you justcan't see them :)

When breeding 2 albinos together, you can only get albino.When breeding albino to any other color, you can get any possiblenumber of colors depending on what genes the rabbits carry.If the other rabbit does not carry the albino gene, there willbe no chance of albinos being produced from that cross.

For instance, if your albino carries the "A" agouti gene and you breedthat albino to a black, the most likely color you'll get is ChestnutAgouti.

In some cases, you may note phenotypically(byappearance)that a rabbit is a "REW" (ruby eyed white/albino)gene carrier. For instance, there is a noticeable colordifference in a homozygous cchl cchl sable point as compared to aheterozygous cchl c sable point (albino gene carrier). Thecolor is lighter and the eyes have a very noticeable ruby glow to them.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
When breeding 2 albinos together, you can only get albino.
Does that go for the BEW also, you can only get BEW out of two BEW's? Iam thinking yes, because isn't it one of the most recessive genes? Lol,I swear one day I will get these genetics down!

~Nichole

Yepp Nichole....BEW +BEW=BEW I've also read that you should never breed BEW to anything but BEW.

Lanna

That's what I thought.

I was told if you didn't have a two BEW to breed them to a solid orREW, and then breed the offspring back to the parent to get BEW's.However they said none of the offspring from the first breeding will beshowable. I think I would rather breed two BEW's, rather than getting abunch of rabbits I would have to sell as pets or the occasional sport.:?

~Nichole

What's BEW stand for again?

Blue Eyed White?

I have a Blue Eyed White...and grey...does that count? lol.

And a BEB! (Blue Eyed Black)....

yeah...Im confused :(

Yup, BEW= Blue eyed White.

I think in order for a rabbit to have blue eyes it has to carry theVienna gene, am I correct? Which would mean it has a BEW ancestorsomewhere along the lines.

~Nichole

Peppy and Samson both have beautiful blue eyes....Maggie has brown eyes...she's still cute though :p

Mocha and Spice both HAD blue eyes but now theyhave gone to brown. Pamnock once pointed out that the Chinchilla genecan do some weird things with eye colors and we suspect there is somechinchilla in their background. (By we I mean Pamnock!)

I hope my buns eyes dont change color ! I like them blue!!

Peppy's over a year old, I'm sure they won't change now.

Samson, I'm not sure how old he is, he has his testicles soI'm assuming he's at least 4 months...I think the guy said 6 months old? But he's so small, so I dont know...lol. He weighs 4lbs I weighed himtoday.

Some dilutes (blue, lilac, simease smoke pearl,opal, lynx, squirrel, smoke pearl marten, fawn)also haveblueeyes. Theyre not bright blue like BEW though.

Lanna

lanna21974 wrote:
Some dilutes (blue, lilac, simease smoke pearl, opal, lynx,squirrel, smoke pearl marten, fawn)also haveblueeyes. Theyre not bright blue like BEW though.

Lanna
Oh really, I didn't know that. I knew they could have grayish coloredeyes, but I thought that wasn't too common. That's cool to know.

~Nichole

Having had a blue otter...they are grayish bluebut blue none-the-less. No where near as bright blue as BEWs though.It's not only common but thyre supposed to have blue-gray eyes.(nethies anyway)I dont think I've ever seen a brown eyed bluebun. See bun below. He's a blue silver marten.

Lanna

Peppy's eyes seem to be pretty blue to me.

Peppy01.jpg

pep2.jpg

The Dutch gene can also cause a brilliant blueeye. The chin gene can produce a bright blue eye (althoughnot quite as bright as the BEW or Dutch eye).

BEW vv bred to BEW vv will always produce BEW unless they each carryREW (then can produce REW) -- or if the "vv" phenotype was actually a"Vv" genotype.

Below is a photo of "Ace", a BEW sport Netherland Dwarf. . .

Peppy's eyes are probably like Ace's in the photo -- they are not showing up as brilliant blue as they are in real life :)

Pam

SLRabbits wrote:
That's what I thought.

I was told if you didn't have a two BEW to breed them to a solid orREW, and then breed the offspring back to the parent to getBEW's.
~Nichole

You really want to avoid having BEWs that are REW carriers.It's best to breed to any other color, then breed the offspringback to the BEW. It is best though to bred BEW to BEW andavoid having sports altogether.

Pam

I'm afraid my webcam doesnt take good pictures,it kind of throws off the colors of everything lol. I haven't seen aBEW actually, so I'm sure they have brighter eyes, but I still thinkPeppy's and Sam's are really cute :)

Samson's blue eyes look cool with his white fur, where Peppy's really stand out because of his black fur :)

Wow thanks for explaining that to me Pam, Iactually understood it too LOL! It is all very interesting. When I havethe kits I was expecting them all to be albinos, I hoped I might have abit of other colours in but thought it was notgoing to happen.

Blue eyes are really beautiful in rabbits especially in a white rabbit.I do love my babies' eyes though they glow like a pinky colour and theyhave quite a prominent ring around them.

Vickie

Latest posts

Back