Albertan Laws Online

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hey guys...

I like to be current and aware of laws and such in whatever area I live in (for ex. 3 cats being the legal limit in Pasadena, where I used to live), so I'd like to check out the laws regarding the keeping of house bunnies and cats in Alberta/Edmonton, but am having a hard time finding a site that'll give me the codes/laws/regulations online without having to pay for them. Anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks!!

Rosie*

P.S. The bunnies & kitties thank you, too! :D

Okay, ugh again...still not finding the restrictions on numbers and such. I'm trying to be sure that our cages meet any space requirements (not that they'll be in tiny cages, but I like to just have everything in order) and want to be sure that if we encounter any kitties that need help or bunnies, that there isn't a number limitation (not that I plan on having tons, just again, want to be sure to know the law).

Help?

:?

The maximum number of pets allowed is 3 dogs and 6 cats. All must be licensed and wear their license on their collar(bylaw has been cracking down and you get a fine if the dog is caught not wearing the tag).

I dont' think there is any restrictions on amounts of small pets like rabbits. I also dont' think there are any restrictions/guidelines on cage sizes.

http://www.edmonton.ca/bylaws_licences/licences_permits/pet-licences.aspx

degrassi wrote:
I dont' think there is any restrictions on amounts of small pets like rabbits.
As you can see the rabbits that turn up at the shelter, people are getting away with hoards of rabbits in their house.

Check with the shelter, about the type and numbers of animals you can have in the city.

The number of pets allowed varies form town/city to town/city. There is a limit in Edmonton, but not in Calgary. Most city animal services only deal with and regulate dogs and cats. They might say you can't have certain species in residential areas (like not pigs in the city), but usually don't go beyond that.
You would be hard pressed to find cage or run sizes for a city area for domestic animals.

You can usually find animal bylaws on the cities website. It can be hard to go through all the legal stuff to get something out of it, but it is good to know.

This link might be helpful to you.

Thank you so much for the link, Kate! I'd forgotten all about this, lol!

I'm calling them right now to make sure I know the laws...both about the number of buns allowed, and any spacial restrictions (such as, cage size, etc.). As I've said, ours don't have small cages by any means...but I want to be sure I know the laws.

OK...the lady I spoke to said that she found nothing stating any legal limit for rabbits, and that I should check the Bylaws:

http://www.edmonton.ca/bylaws_licences/C13145.doc

Back