Ainsley's Reverse Mohawk

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ainsleysmom

Reaction score
So I know rabbits shed every few months, but I never knew the extent to which they could shed. Within the last 3-4 days, Ainsley has lost the hair along her spine.She still has very short hair there, but the fluffy hair is all gone. That's normal right? I'm combing her every day or two, making sure she has as little hair as possible to ingest. Should I give her some kind of hairball treatment to ensure she doesn't get a hairball? She's eating a lot of timothy hay, so she's getting good fiber. Johnnie isn't hardly shedding at all.. It's weird... Maybe because Johnnie is kept in a cooler room?

you're right - bunnies shed but i would say such fur loss could be an underlying problem. why not put a post in the infirmary section? or pm a mod and get this thread moved.

hop this helps:bunnydance:

It probably is a serious shed :)
nothing you said makes me think otherwise
just keep brushing, offer a lot of water and hay

no need for hairball meds
if the hair doesn't regrow then there is a problem but this sounds normal

Contrary to popular belief, rabbits do not get hairballs. They can develop a condition called trichobezoars which is a mass of ingesta....undigested food, fur and anything else that hasn't been digested. The best prevention for GI slowdowns due to these bezoars is adequate hydration and a high fiber diet....unlimited amounts of hay. The use of gel type (cat or dog) hairball products such as Petro Malt or Laxotone will compress and dehydrate any forming bezoar which is the exact opposite of what your rabbit needs. Do not use these type products. The GI of a rabbit is not at all like a dog or cat. Hay and water.

And we have some really funky looking rabbits right now too.....one looks like her fur has been teased. And fur is everywhere.

Randy

Ok thanks guys. I'll also try to post pics when I find my camera. I should be able to follow one of the cords hooked up to the computer and find it that way. :)

LOL unless it's now a "wireless camera" thanks to Ainsley or Johnnie! Tony has made a few wireless mice in his day...

Latest posts

Back