ahhhhh.... okay enough already!!!! Stop chewing on your ear PLEAZZZZZZZZZZE!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showrabbits

Reaction score
I hate having english lops for this reason....Pheobe who i absolutly love to pieces is a black tort english lop. Hergrandma was my first english lop and did the same thing. Two days ago Iwent out to my rabbits for a few hours of play time. I almost had aheart attack when I saw Pheobe. I thought she was dead in her cage, andthere was blood every where. The first thing that came to mind was dogattack again. I pulled myself together and found a box and towel for aproper burial. (dont know what I was thinking at the time because as Ilater thought of the ground is pretty frozen.) I placed fionna in thebox and saw that it was her ear and that it had been torn. I then wentand cryed for a little and came back out to clean up the barn afterhaving made a mess making sure that there werent any more animals inthe barn(still having thought that it was a dog orsomething)and finding a box oh and checking on the otherrabbits of course. I picked up the box to take another look at pheobeand when i picked up pheobe she woke up and kicked me in the face! Onceagain she had scared me soo bad that I almost had a heart attack. Icaught her mid air after she kicked me in the face and I gave her a hugand ran inside with her. Her ear had stoped bleeding and I put aclothes pin on it to keep it from bleeding more. (I have been throughtorn ears before) Luckly it wasnt a blood vessel that supples bloodback into the ear or into the body from the ear. I started her onsupplments to get her gluclose back up and such. She spent the night inmy room and i made a sling to keep her ear elevated and clean. The nextday she was back to her normal spunky self and had her condition backso I took her back to the barn and she was pretty darn happy to see hercage. Still no clue what caused it. Then today she was chewing on herear. She had tattered the edges of the other one and now was working onher other ear. I cleaned up her ear and she threw a fit about it. Ithen put a mixture or stinky stuff and lotion that I was given for hergrandmother when she would chew on her ears. I covered her cage andgave her tons of toys and treats to keep her busy, calm and preoccupied. Well it didnt work she realy messed up her ear. Fifteenminutes later I checked on her and she had her ear chewed down prettybadso now her ear is bandaged up and she is inside. Ibandaged it up with enough pressure on the end so that is all good. Sheis leaving the bandage on and I rigged up a rubberband chain again soher ear is elevated and she can turn around and it wont bother her any.I had to tape up her other ear to keep her from chewing on it. I guessI just have to wait it out. I think that her ears might have gotten wetor something although it realy hasnt been cold lately. Fionna wich waspheobes mother chewed on her ears if it got cold, but it realy has notbeen cold lately.... SO I am lost to why she is doing this. My bestguess is it is becasue of the pressure changing stressing her. She goescrazy during the summer when there is a storm coming. I usauly end upstuffing her cage full of straw to keep her from running up onto thesides of it. Any ideas would be great!

What a stressful thing to have happened to you.It must have been awful thinking she was dead, and then a big shock tosuddenly get kicked by her.

I can't think of anything really other than what you've already tried,putting something on her ear that tastes so bad she doesn't want tochew it, but if she's prepared to give herself that much pain bychewing up her ears, a bad taste probably isn't going to have that mucheffect :(. I hope someone has a goodsolution for you.

Kate

What a horrible experience :(

Is she on a wood bottom cage and kept warm?

You'll find that the tendency toward self mutilation can be hereditary, so I don't advise using those animals for breeding.

A collar can be put on her until the ear heals, and I'd fill the cagewith hay until the ears heal. After that, I'dtapeback the ears, re-taping them daily to be sure she hasgood circulation in the ears.

In some cases, the animal will mutilate itself so badly that it has tobe put down -- however, I have seen some cases spontaneously cease asmysteriously as they started.

Pam

yeah I have already put a holt to that line.Desided that as soon as she started. I thought NOT AGAIN! Fionna wasbreed when I got her and I thought that fionna tore her ear or got herear wet and frost bit. I had a water bowl in her cage instead of awater bottle and it happend the first cold night I had her. I called upthe breeder for advice and he told me that they can do that if theirears get frozen. Well enough is enough I am done with that line too badbecause if they were colored (not ruby eyed whites) they always hadtwenty seven inch ears. But I think that might have been on her dadsside so I will just have to use him on my other lines. Now just what todo with this gal. I am going to take the bandage off tonight and cleanit up again but I am kind of scared to see it. She is looking alotbetter. I think that she lost alot of blood so I am realy worried aboutlong term stuff going on but her color is back tonight.

I really hope she's ok, it must be a big worryfor you to try and work out what to do for her to stop what she'sdoing. I just wish there was an easy solution, but it doesn't look likeit :(.

Kate

Just wanted to let everyone know it has been aFULL 29 hours since she has touched her bandage and her ears! I boughther all of the treats that they had at work lol. She loves theraviollies! I am giving her them everytime she lets me clean her ear orpet her nose. She Hates to have her nose rubbed, just like her grandma.Pretty much all the way! From the exact same size, color, personalityand spunk. I am thinking about renaming her Fionna the second orsomething. Actually I have been thinking about that for a while now. Iwas going to make up a colar for her but stoped because I realized shewould not be able to take care of her night droppings and plus anythingI did that alowed her to sit normal would still alow her to reach herear. Shes a english lop so the ears are still long. I did however havesome problems cleaning the edge of her ear because she had alot of hairin it. I think I got most of it pulled out and cleaned up, the bottomof her cage was carpet at the time so I think it was from that. I amafraid to clean it up too much because although she doesnt act like itbothers her at all I am afraid to get it bleeding again. She did let meknow who was boss though when I decided that I had to use a antiseptic.Gladd I dont have to do that again!

Years ago my mom used to get several hundred babychicks every spring. They will start to pick on one another,and if blood is drawn, will just keep at it, and the chick willdie. There used to be a product called "No Pick" or somethinglike that. You would smear that on the hurt chicks, and Iguess it tasted sooo bad that one pick, and the rest of the chickswould leave the hurt one alone. Some people have used Vicksfor this, also. Don't know if these things would work forrabbits or not. Just athought.Jeez! What a shock you got! :))

- Dolores

Latest posts

Back