Aggressive grooming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a bonded male/female pair. The female (Raisin), grooms the male (Gus) to the point where he has wounds. The first time it was a half moon scrape on the side of his head. The latest one is the corner of one of his eyes, he has a small cut. I have them separated now so Gus’s cut can heal. Any ideas on how I can stop Raisin from being so aggressive with her grooming?

My rabbit, Zola, did this to her bonded companion, Echo, soon after I adopted her. I learned that it’s often called barbering and occurs when the rabbit is a little bored.

The fix is pretty much, make your rabbits pen larger and provide lots of toys and fresh hay.

They are in a room that is about 20’ x 10’, plus they have another area that is about 6’x3’ that I let them in that has tunnels and assorted other play things. The play area is shared with another bonded pair, only one pair allowed in the ply area at a time.
Their diet is a constant supply of Timothy/orchard hay, 1/4 cup of oxbow organic pellets with a sprinkle of organic oats, handful of organic mixed greens, per rabbit per day.

It sounds like everything is great. It may simply be a phase if you just bonded them? As I mentioned earlier, my Netherland dwarf female, Zola, did this to my male Netherland so much that he had a big bald patch on his head. There wasn’t any cuts though.. only missing hair where she groomed excessively. I didn’t change much of her routine and she stopped after about 2 weeks. How long

Have you saw Raisin do this to Gus? It may not be barbering but possibly little quarrels? How long have they been bonded?

They have been bonded for about 6 months. Yes I have seen the grooming taking place. It almost like she is gnawing on him. She has been what I would call an aggressive groomer since the start but not to the point of cutting him. They are miserable apart, I would like to figure out what to do so they can live together without Gus being brutalized by Raisin.

If it’s the same area, maybe try a safe essential oil in that spot so Raisin avoids grooming there? Obviously something safe to be on Gus though..

Yes I can try that. Right now the favorite spot seems to be in the corner of his left eye. Might be a challenge to put something there. I just tried putting them back together and she immediately went for that same spot. Seems they will have to live apart for awhile.

Latest posts

Back