Aggressive bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chloe0500

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I just rescued a mini rex doe and she has been spayed.
The first day I had her I was fine holding her, she just layed in my arms but I assume she was frightened from the journey so I put her in her XL dog crate and every slight movement anybody made had her jumping around the crate extremely fast and cowering in the corner. I of course provided hides for her but I decided to cover the crate over with a sheet for the first 2 days just so she could get used to her space in peace. I've now had her for 3 weeks and she is no longer jumpy at all but she is extremely aggressive. After 3 days I decided to open her crate so she could have a wander round the room, I left the crate door open and walked away and left her to herself. She didn't move. She seemed petrified that the door was opened and she moved to the other end of the crate and cowered in the corner.
I've been sitting with her for an hour multiple times a day and just talking to her and offering her food but as soon as she hears that door open she runs to the opposite end and crouches in the corner.
I left a shirt in her crate with my scent on it but now for the past couple of days she is coming out of the crate on her own but as soon as I move a muscle she makes a weird growling sound at me and the other day she lunged at me from across the room when I went to pick up my phone from the floor and she caught my hand with her teeth. Ever since then, every opportunity she gets she lunges and makes this growling sound. I don't want to do anything to stress her out but I'm not sure what I can do regarding bonding with her as she won't eat if I'm anywhere near her.
I tried introducing her to a neutered male (through two cages) and she did the same thing with the growling sound. Are there any tips you have for helping with bonding? She's 6 months old.
Also she's definitely not bored as she has her own little toy box full of all-sorts of different toys and I switch them round every week as well as giving her treat toys which keep her entertained for hours. She's always rearranging her crate or throwing things around. And with her size compared to the crate, I've seen her be able to do 6 hops one way and 4 hops another and it is twice her stood up height so she has plenty of room.
Thanks guys!

Hey guys!
I just rescued a mini rex doe and she has been spayed.
The first day I had her I was fine holding her, she just layed in my arms but I assume she was frightened from the journey so I put her in her XL dog crate and every slight movement anybody made had her jumping around the crate extremely fast and cowering in the corner. I of course provided hides for her but I decided to cover the crate over with a sheet for the first 2 days just so she could get used to her space in peace. I've now had her for 3 weeks and she is no longer jumpy at all but she is extremely aggressive. After 3 days I decided to open her crate so she could have a wander round the room, I left the crate door open and walked away and left her to herself. She didn't move. She seemed petrified that the door was opened and she moved to the other end of the crate and cowered in the corner.
I've been sitting with her for an hour multiple times a day and just talking to her and offering her food but as soon as she hears that door open she runs to the opposite end and crouches in the corner.
I left a shirt in her crate with my scent on it but now for the past couple of days she is coming out of the crate on her own but as soon as I move a muscle she makes a weird growling sound at me and the other day she lunged at me from across the room when I went to pick up my phone from the floor and she caught my hand with her teeth. Ever since then, every opportunity she gets she lunges and makes this growling sound. I don't want to do anything to stress her out but I'm not sure what I can do regarding bonding with her as she won't eat if I'm anywhere near her.
I tried introducing her to a neutered male (through two cages) and she did the same thing with the growling sound. Are there any tips you have for helping with bonding? She's 6 months old.
Also she's definitely not bored as she has her own little toy box full of all-sorts of different toys and I switch them round every week as well as giving her treat toys which keep her entertained for hours. She's always rearranging her crate or throwing things around. And with her size compared to the crate, I've seen her be able to do 6 hops one way and 4 hops another and it is twice her stood up height so she has plenty of room.
Thanks guys!
Hi! I am not hugely experienced but one of my lop girls is also very nervous. She's about 4,5 months old still unspayed and with me about 2,5 months, I think she had some hard experience in her previous family her whiskeys were damaged and she was very defensive since day one. She is very territorial she bit my hands so many times when I was just refilling her bowl, she stopped biting now but I still kinda expecting that she could and very careful when entering her space, when I need to clean her cage I am waiting when she goes out and block her way back, she get's scared very easily and hiding in her cage if there's any movement from my side. She doesn't like to be picked up but sometimes I do and she always looks scared first breathing like a choo-choo train then she lets me to clip her nails and brush her coat. She actually likes brushing and I do it slowly and gently she's getting more relaxed after that so I am trying to do that more often. She had two false pregnancies already after meeting a male, first was very difficult and she was aggressive biting and all but after a few says she was back to normal and wanted me to pet her, after that she is much less aggressive and she comes to me asking for food and cuddles sometimes. We still have plenty to work on, I am trying not to give her too much attention but sometimes just take her and brush her and feel she likes it but still a bit afraid if she can bite my hand or lap through my pj that happened before.

I liked that you covered your buns cage and let her be for a few days, maybe she needs more time fo feel that this is her space and it is safe to go out and in. I placed her cage under the desk and covered with cardboard from 3 sides only front is uncovered, I also place a screen in front of her cage for a few hours a day.

How long ago was she spayed? Maybe she had some bad experience and needs more time, I'd just leave her alone and her cage covered for longer, and maybe would build something like a small playpen in front of her cage and leave her door open for day so she could go out and in whenever she wants and no one pays attention.

Maybe she's not ready to meet other rabbit yet.

Hope you'll get more advice from other members who are more experienced, good luck!

Latest posts

Back