Aggressive Behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseywool704

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Speedy is home now after his surgery. His pen is next to my girl's and she has become crazy aggressive and watching him constantly. She has tried to lunge at him each time he comes near her cage and tried to bite him through the cage as well. He is just curious and hopping around (mind you he is still on pain meds).

I have now put a partition between them so that my girl cannot see him any longer. Is this sort of aggressive behavior going to last and get worse? Is this a sign they will not do well bonding?

Thanks for the advice I truly appreciate anything.

He probably came home smelling strange to her. Take one of her blankets or something that has her scent on it, rub him with it, & then leave it in his area. Do it again, as many times as it takes. At some point, give her one back that has both her & his scent on it.

That's a good idea LakeCondo. My girl has become super aggressive to the point when she hears him eating she is running over. I have surrounded his cage with sheets so she can't see him, however she is definitely NOT happy.

She has become aggressive towards me and is now biting me if I go to do anything (like give her treats or toys).

I'm hoping this will pass, there isn't another room I can put him in... :(

jerseywool704 wrote:
That's a good idea LakeCondo. My girl has become super aggressive to the point when she hears him eating she is running over. I have surrounded his cage with sheets so she can't see him, however she is definitely NOT happy.

She has become aggressive towards me and is now biting me if I go to do anything (like give her treats or toys).

I'm hoping this will pass, there isn't another room I can put him in... :(
I had a similar experience when I brought our rescue Willard home. Kreacher, my smallest bunny became very super aggressive to a point I had to separate them once Kreacher smelled Willard. His cage was not next to them at the time, but across the room so they knew he was there. I took all of them out one day to their outside enclosure making sure that they were separated. Kreacher immediately started charging Dobby and then went after Willard. I went to pick up Kreacher and that was the first time he bit me. Not hard, but I knew it.

Next time Kreacher became aggressive, it was because I was cleaning their crate and had, for the first time, cleaned Willard's first. I washed my hands, but his scent was still on me. Kreacher bit me and then went after Dobby when he smelled Willard on me.

Willard has been with us for 2 months now. Things have calmed down. They are all together in separate cages. No bites or aggression. But I take them separately out. I've never had them interact again.

I think this site might help you and me if I ever get the courage to try getting my boys together for play time. I would really like that.

I think with the hospital smells freaked her out also. She's upset and scared and it will take time and patience for her to just calm down and then to accept him.

I wish you all the luck.

K :)

LakeCondo - yes she's been spayed back in July, I thought it was weird too that she has become so aggressive without hormones..

ZRabbits - thanks so much for responding, I'm glad I'm not the only one... Although I don't want this to happen for either of us!

My girl was aggressive towards him when seeing him this morning, but I have put up barricades between them and she has calmed down although she can still smell/ hear him, she wasnt freaking out everytime.

Frustrating, I'm nervous about letting them meet in 4 weeks or so.. Ughh

Females are naturally protection of their nesting/sleeping area, which is why bonding is always done on neutral territory. As the cages are close together it's pretty much the equivalent of him sitting on the boundary line and sticking his tongue out. It's going to make her annoyed, and even more so because she can't get to him to chase him off.

Blocking off the sight line is a good idea as that way she can't see him to keep triggering her instincts.

I don't think you'll necessarily see the same behaviour when you introduce them on neutral territory. It really does make a big difference.

Latest posts

Back