Aggression to a newcomer.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surstarky

Reaction score
Hello all,
New to the site and having a bit of a bunny crisis.

I got my first bunny about 6 months ago, we got 2 female dutch bunnies, sisters. About a month in, one of the girls died we believe from some sort of spine fracture. (I think she might have gotten frightened while on tile flooring and never let us know anything was wrong) I was heartbroken, but this really isn't my issue.

Today I bought a sweet lop from a local "pet store" I had wanted another, one that was much younger than my other two where when I got them. I brought the pretty girl home today...and slowly introduced her to Bun, and to my shock she lunged at the baby through the cage and started grunting.

Im really scared to try and re-introduce because Im afraid she might end up hurting the little one. Any advice?

Thanks
Beth :(

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Bonding can be a really tricky process and buns can definitely be territorial. I'd recommend you keep the new bun separate for a while at the very least until you know if she's healthy. Is the older bun spayed? That can really help cut down on hormones and make bonding easier.
This is our library thread on bonding. Read up on it and see if that helps with a bit of an overview.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

Thanks for the response. I would love to have to older bun spayed, unfortunately the closest place that would spay my bun properly is about a 2 hour drive away, and I've also heard from a fellow bunny owner in the area that that vet only neutered theirs because they knew them personally. *sigh* I might have to check out some other places.

On a good note, the new baby is very friendly already. She is binking a lot already. My only other worry is that they were starving her at the pet store, she has done nothing but eat pellets since she got here.

ask the local rabbit rescue who they use or humane society they could recomend someone....

She apparently hates her terribly. I have a list made up of vets to call tomorrow at work, hopefully I will have some luck. I live in a small town in Kentucky, so my options are small and few.

At least the younger bun didn't seem upset about this lunging. She just kept trying to get closer :(

So an update. My bun is still very upset about the little one. I tried to introduce again only to the older bun lunging at the baby, then lunging at me when I got the little one out of view. I also noticed that afterwards she started binking like she thinks its humorous or something ha.

Im wondering if I should try and wait to introduce again once the little one is a bit older and after the big one has been fixed. :( Any advice out there, outside of getting her fixed?

Another Update. So I've got a reinforced baby gate between the two buns and the older one is no longer trying to dig and fight to get to her. She is now trying to smell and nip her a bit, then proceeds to flick her head like shes going to binky. She also is starting to lay next to the gate and spread out. There might be hope but Im still pretty scared to let face to face contact happen. Any suggestions?

its a start. the best option is to wait and get the older one fixed first before trying to bond, since this is where all of the aggression is coming from.

So as a update, I plan to call the vet to find out pricing this week to get Big Buns fixed, in the mean time they seem to bond via baby gate.

This morning I brought Little Bun in the living room with Big Bun and got the courage to see the reaction, and to my surprise instead of biting or trying to hurt the little one, she just started chasing her around and of course trying to hump her. I got the little bun away due to whatever risk that could happen.

I have also been more aware of how hormonal shes become due to the circling shes been doing to me and the hubby. She chases us, well follows us constantly and when we stand still she circles and binkies. She just started doing this about 4 days ago. I think she needs a trip to the vet, what do you think? Haha!

Welcome!

I would definitely wait until they are both spayed before you re-introduce. Females can be quite nasty to one another. Also remember that your baby is sweet now, because babies love contact with other buns, but she will go through puberty as well and need to be spayed.

Not all buns can be bonded. We had one that was a maximum alpha--she'd attack much larger buns, and she was neutered. We had a little Dutch that would use the courting behavior when I was in the room and would attack Nancy if she came in the room the same time as me. Definitely need to get the hormones in check but it may not stop the urge to hump. Good luck.

I plan on getting the little one neutered as well when she's old enough.

I personally don't expect a miracle after I get the big one fixed. I know there is a large chance that she will still be very territorial and never bond with the baby. I would just be happy if they could enjoy each other for play time.

The Dutch that I have right now that is circling I feel will soon become a bit more aggressive and nippy toward me or the hubby due to her new love to circle and charge/chase us.

I can only hope for the best. My greatest fear in getting her fixed is that the vet won't know what hes doing and she will end up dying due to the surgery. I am a worry wart tho!

Pretty much any pair that can enjoy playtime together can be bonded! I don't want to say every because I'm sure there are examples that prove me wrong, but in the vast majority of cases if you can get them to be calm and civil in a neutral play area, it's just a few more steps to get them living together full time. Good luck! Their personalities will change quite a bit after spaying - not their overall personalities towards humans, but their personalities towards another female rabbit. The way they act with each other now really isn't a good indication of how they will act post-spay.

there are steps to bonding that u need to follow.there all kinds of info on this site about it...if u keep trying to bond without them being fixed ur gonna have a harder time getting them to like each other ...u can cause more probs then u realize with these unfixed introductions...
yes some people have bonded unfixed bunnies before but it is VERY small percentage...

Hello All.
So I figured I would update this..
Big buns has started to love the little one now. She nuzzles under her to be groomed and also grooms the little one. I have them in the same room with separate cages, with a pen type area for them to bond. It seems Big buns has a lot stronger of a temperament than the little one. Always bugging her and chasing...occasionally territorial humping, but nothing that seems dangerous is occurring. I'm getting Big buns fixed when taxes roll in and Christmas money isn't so tight. It seems they will do fine tho. No growling or nipping!

thats good.:) just keep in mind that when their hormones kick in everything changes..so one day they might be fine but the next could be bad.....please dont leave them alone together unattended yet....ur older bun could really hurt the little one....

Back