Aggression or Friendly? Biting.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsshaer

Franki
Reaction score
I was just sitting with my bun on my lap in my computer chair--she was on a towel in case she decided to 'go'. I was petting her for a while to calm her down (she's not used to being picked up yet, but it perfectly fine when in your lap or put back down) and followed it up with some gentle brushing.

She started moving around on my lap a bit--worked her way up to laying on my crotch/stomach area. She bit my shirt once and got through to my stomach--it wasn't like the first time because this one actually hurt a little bit and left a bit of a pinch mark. I thought it was just an accident but then we went on to biting the towel she was on and lifting it, like she does to her towels in her cage before she lays in them.

I was worried about her getting me (by mistake?) again, so I lifted her (she remained calm) and put her back in her cage. She turned right around and looked happy to me though and took her pets very well.

Were these aggressive or warning bites? Or was she trying to nest? She was softly honking on and off while doing it too--is that a good or bad sign? If this is 'I don't like this' behavior--how can I make her happy during cuddle time?

She's in a good mood now (not used to holding her so I don't know about this nipping/biting). She's about a year old--fixed--recently adopted this month from a very friendly and busy shelter.

It may be that she was just nibbling your shirt and bit too hard getting your skin as well. My flemmie has only bit me once and it was accidental. He was nibbling on my jeans as I was cleaning his cage. I was aware he was nibbling in the back of my mind as I was focused on what I was doing. Because he was just lightly nibbling and I was focused I did not stop him, that is until he decided he liked the feel of what he was chewing and bit harder getting my leg in the process.

It sounds like she was just trying to arrange your shirt in the way she wanted it just as she did with the towel on your lap.

Ah--that's what I was thinking. I was worried she was unhappy, so I wanted to double check on here. I looked at older threads (maybe a page or two back?) and saw a similar issue with biting clothing and accidentally nipping whoever was inside it. Hahah. I'll just be careful with her I guess, maybe give her a thicker towel to tussle with when laying on me. Thanks so much!

One of my netherland bucks likes to play with fabric and would destroy it but he's too small. He digs like a maniac and bites. If he's within reach of your shirt during that time he'll get your stomach.

Latest posts

Back