age related behaviors?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
I noticed this past year that Gizzy's activity level has dropped but not dramatically. He is approx 4 yrs old now and even though he does still run jump and binky he is much more sleepy during the day as well as the evenings. Nothing has changed with toilet or dietary habits, he isn't having weight issues as far as I can tell either. Could this be age related? or could he be depressed? he is also not a cage rabbit, the cage is usually only at night when I go to bed but during the day he is free and has plenty of attention since Im home and he has lots of toys ( boxes, crinkle tunnels, chew toys ect)

I am not an expert....but I have had bunnies live to be much older....and their activity did not decrease that much nearer to the end of their lives. Years ago, wise vet said to us when we lost our collie at 9yrs old, they are like people....some people are "old" at 70 and some are "old" at 90. In my experience that has been true with all my animals. Being only 4, I would be inclined to think depression or something else health related. Good luck....

I have a 4 yr. old mini lop that is less active now than he was at 2. He is bonded with my holland lop, and he's fine health wise. He's just settled down a lot as he's gotten a little older, even though 4 really isn't that old. He'll still binky and run around a little, but just not with the energy that he used to.

I think 4 is around the age they are maturing. My 6 year old bun is the calmest and most social she has ever been. Life lessons and experience will do that lol
A 4 year old, or at least when Acacia was 4, was active and zooming around. Maybe try to stimulate his interests a bit. Like, if you have a friend who has a bunny, loan them a blanket and then give it to yours with the scent (the natural territorial behaviors will spike him instantly). Or start collecting him grasses, snowballs, pinecones and stones from outside (pesticide free, low pollution zones). Read him a story.

Latest posts

Back