Age question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borderco1

Reaction score
There has been lots of posts on here about how old a rabbit should leave his mother and go to a new home. I just brought home my rabbit at 7.5 weeks. The breeder said the litter was doing really well and that it would be fine for me to bring Mace (chocolate mini rex) home with me. Does this sound alright? He had already been away from him mother (six weeks old) and seems to show no ill affects. He eats well, very social and not timed at all. So for future rabbits I may purchase I would just like the pros to tell me what the best ages for everything is. Thanks!!

You can wean anywhere from six to eight weeks, but preferably eight weeks. And even then I like to keep the buns a week or two before i sell or show them just to make sure they're doing alright andI don't stress them out at a show. I wouldn't ever buy an animal that is under six or seven weeks.

Ellie

aggh before i brought home Alex i was going to get a lion head, from a breeder and she said i could bring him/her home at five weeks. she must had been crazy then

I only know one thing about it: here in California, it's actually illegal to sell/give away a rabbit under the age of 8 weeks.

(Pretty sad when you consider that Flower was six weeks when we found her, and had been living the way we found her for approx. two weeks, meaning she was sold at FOUR WEEKS! Poor baby!!)

Rabbits can actually be weaned as young as 3-4 weeks of age. As a matter of convenience, most breeders leave the litter with the dam for as long as 6-8 weeks.

In the wild, the ancestors of our domestic rabbits breed immediately after giving birth and began raising a new litter 31 days later. By this time, the young from the first litter are already out on their own and eating.

A primary concern of young bunnies is the stress from being sold at an early age rather than the early weaning.

Pam

Back