Aftercare?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katnanw

Reaction score
Hey so previously I posted about sterilizing my buns and I just did at the hospital yesterday :] however Donut's still looking really sleepy and avoiding his pellets (he's eating hay and greens though) and he seems really scared of me when he used to be so human friendly :(
Cookie on the other hand is eating like any teenage boy would lol huge appetite and I guess he's back to normal. He even likes being carried now and always comes to me for attention, something Donut would use to do.
I feel like they've switched personalities, is this normal???

Oh, and any special tips/ important things I have to take note of :?

Keep them confined to their cage(s) for at least 3 days. Don't let them jump around too much. They'll have most likely got a strong dose of pain meds from the vet that will last about 24 hours or so, but after that they made need some more. Did the vet give you any addition pain meds?

Every bunny is going to react differently to the stress and pain of being neutered. Some will want to be left alone. Others will want nothing but attention. It really depends on the rabbit.

As long as he's is eating something, I think Donut will be fine. Avoiding pellets for a day or two isn't going to hurt him. If he still won't eat them after a week, there's something else going on. But generally if they're eating hay, then they're fine.

Give them a few more days to heal (and lots of nose rubs and treats) and they should be back to their old selves soon enough.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Thanks Rue! The additional meds he gave are just antiseptic liquid to clean the wounds, Baytril and Nutroplex antibiotics and NSaid Anti Inflammatory (Meloxicam, a small dose) for each day :O

Glad your boys are home and it sounds like it went just fine. My boys took a good 3 days. I kept them confined and they rested. They ate but really not as they used to. I was just glad they ate. By the 4th day, they were eating normally. Had no problem afterwards.

As Rue said, just observe them.

K:)

I love the names of your bunnies, they must be really cute!
I can't give you useful info but will be praying and hoping that both your bunnies are ok. I'm glad to know that Cookie is doing well already. I hope Donut gets fine soon too!:pray::pray:

Glad to hear both buns are eating at least.

I think it depends on how well the surgery went and the buns themselves. (Of course pain meds go a long way.)

Bighead was acting normally immediately after the car ride home from the surgery. (It was like he didn't even notice he had surgery.) Missypants needed a day or two to recover. She was confined for 1.5 weeks and by the end of it, she just wanted FREEDOM!

Thanks for the comments guys ! I'm glad to hear its normal behaviour. Was starting to get a little worried there ;) hehee yeah well. At least they're eating :]
Vivian : thanks! They're lovely , a cross between a Netherland dwarf and a local breed. The breeder didn't know what he was doing and only both of them survived the litter :/ Cookie has blue eyes and white rings and patches while Donut looks exactly like his father. Both of them have slightly long ears and they don't resemble their ND mum. Okay this is so random LOLLOL :p

Just gonna pray and see how it goes for the week :pray:

14t06zk.jpg

this is Cookie , check out his blue eyes :] (which made me mistake him for a girl when he was younger hahaha )

1175noz.jpg

Donut, standing up for the first time post surgery :)

eg1xev.jpg

When I first saved them from the breeder's. Doesn't Cookie look so feminine?! His eyes weren't so obvious at that time so I simply thought they were brown :]

Haahaha there ya go . pictures :D
and finally, they have started eating . yay! :pray:

:happyrabbit:

Yeah, I was soooooo worried. Donut is still a little wary though, I've got a feeling the vet or nurse mishandled him or SOMETHING, i don't know, he's really terrified of humans now.
He used to be so loving, but maybe it's just because he's tired or recuperating :]

Cookie on the other hand....is completely human crazy. He begs for pets, treats, hugs. He even wants to sit on my lap every time I come home from school. Which is weird considering he was so anti-me before sterilization :O

Donut will come around whether the vet tech scared or mishandled. It could be just the stress from the experience. Both my boys took it differently too. Kreacher was all over me, and Dobby was to himself until he felt comfortable.

Don't worry. Couple days it will all be forgotten. You won't, but they will. So just treat Donut like you always do. He'll come around.

K :)

After my bun got neutered he was scared of me too. I thought it was because the vets may of mishandled him at first, but i actually think he was just in a mood with me because i took him to the vets! After about a week he was completely back to himself, he was actually more affectionate to me! :D

Thanks Karen and Charlotte :] it's actually pretty comforting to hear that :] oh I have to return to the vets to get the stitches removed . Bleah more stress for them =.=

katnanw wrote:
Thanks Karen and Charlotte :] it's actually pretty comforting to hear that :] oh I have to return to the vets to get the stitches removed . Bleah more stress for them =.=
One more visit to get stitches out and then it will over. I understand about the stress but it's a needed visit.

Hang in there. Once this is all over, they will completely forget the experience. And you will have your sweet bunnies back. And you will be amazed at how they calm down once all the hormones are gone. I have proof of two neutered males that are such sweet bunnies. They are actually a pleasure to be around.

K :)

Latest posts

Back