After Spaying...What to expect?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rita1234

Reaction score
Who knew spaying a little bunny could be so extensive! Not to mention the price...over 200$ with a half off special! hahah, I'm getting my three month old mini-lop spayed today and she's happy and healthy, but I was wondering what to expect when she comes home. The vet was really sweet and explained how some have to be syringe fed and kept quiet for the first ten days, but I wanted to get some bunny owner advice.
:D
thanks in advance!

As your vet said, keep them quiet for a while. Usually mine are back to themselves in 3-5 days. Especially avoid having them jump up or down off of anything. She could open up her incision. Offer normal food and water. You may want to put bowls within reach of wherever she is resting. Generally, a rabbit will begin eating within 24 hours. If she isn't eating within 24 hours, you should start syringe feeding. Don't panic though - I've had females go as long as 3 days before they started eating on their own.

IMPORTANT - get pain meds! If your vet doesn't offer, the ask. If your vet is reluctant - demand them. The common pain med dispensed is metacam. You should have at least 3 days worth.

Good luck and please come back and ask any questions you have after the spay.

I'm not sure what she's living in, but if at all possible, have her on a smooth surface or a blanket for the first day at least. Make sure she can't jump anywhere. Offer a lot of her favorites, if she has a favorite veggie or hay. Definitely get pain meds!

My Lady is getting spayed today too, I miss her already! I'll pick her up tomorrow, but can call at 3 to see how she's doing.

Thanks so much guys! She loves laying in her litterbox and I have aspen bedding down everywhere else, should I just cover that with a blanket?

I don't want to take her little rabbit dome away if I don't have to but she does like hopping up on the top of it (it's about half a foot tall and shaped like an igloo) and I don't want her to hurt herself. Should I take it away for the first couple days or leave it so she has somewhere secluded to rest?

I'm going to cover her cage with a blanket and moniter her eating and drinking. She is going to get pain meds the doctor gave them to me, I guess you just syringe feed that? How does it work?

Thanks again for all the advice and that post was great!

I would discourage any jumping at all for a few days, so taking the igloo away would be a good idea. Your doctor should give you a syringe along with a dose for the paid meds. It's probably metacam which is honey flavored. Most rabbits love it and have no problem taking it from the syringe.

Latest posts

Back