After-Spay Care: Chewing Sutures

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ainsleys_mommy

Reaction score
Johanna got spayed yesterday and has chewed the top layer of sutures out. The incision is still closed though. How concerned should I be?

I'm not too sure, it might be worth giving the vet a call to check, if the incision is still closed it should be alright, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't open more easily. I would also be concerned if she's still fussing with the wound. Surf_storm's rabbit Shida had a good go at her wound as well and had to go back in to stitch it up again so she may be able to give more insight. Otherwise, there's no harm in double-checking with the vet :)

Only my boy got altered and he had suture glue for his...but I think you should call the vet and talk to them. I don't think a cone would work since their neck are fragile(or so I've heard)

Rabbits don't typically tolerate e collars well, but in your case one may be necessary. I'd call your vet about the sutures because I'm not sure how they closed the incision. Typically there are at least two layers of sutures and many vets will use skin glue on top of that.

I had this problem with Shida, I made her a cone out of a circle of fabric. I had to rush her to the emergency 24 hour vet because she ripped her tummy open. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1405746384.339442.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1405746696.073708.jpg

Well, I called the vet and they said to just keep an eye on it. It's the outer layer of sutures she's chewed, but it's still totally closed. She seems to be leaving it alone now, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

When can she be allowed out of cage time again? She's going nuts.

You want to continue to limit her activity for at least a week to two weeks. A spay is a major operation, and especially with your bun having chewed at the sutures. You don't want that wound opening up. In a few days you may be able to let her out in a small area where she can't really run around or jump up on anything. But you will need to closely monitor her to make sure she isn't getting too rambunctious. In the meantime, try providing her with new toys and activities to help distract her from being bored.

I've given her a wiffle ball and a willow ball. She doesn't seem to like the wiffle. She's already eaten the willow. I'm going to go get her a hay ball today. I figured when I do allow her out, I'll just put her in the bathroom. It's bigger than the ferret playpen I have, but not big enough to get too crazy hopefully.

Yeah, just watch her when you do. A bathroom is still big enough for binky's and bunny 500's. Last thing you want is the surgical site opening up.

Some other good bunny activities are hay in tp tubes, hard pine cones, apple sticks to chew up, hay cubes. If she won't chew it up, a stuffie friend might even be a good distraction and give her a friend to groom and snuggle. Good luck. A bored bun can be enough to drive you crazy sometimes :p

Back