Advice with eye wound

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanamuffins

Reaction score
Last night while I was out of the house, Lulu snuck out of her room and into Greg's room and got into a bad fight (fur ALL OVER the house). Lulu's lower eyelid now has a cut. I don't think it's bad enough for a vet visit, but I would appreciate other opinions.

I'm also wondering what I can use to clean the wound? Especially since it is on the eye area.

lulu eye.jpg

With that amount of damage to the lower eyelid, your vet should really take a look at it. She may possibly need stitches. It would also be good to make sure the eye itself, wasn't damaged.

I also think you should go to the vet. Also, don't try to clean it with anything because rabbit skin is so delicate that anti-bacterial solutions like betadine cause tissue damage and keep tissue from healing. The only thing I think that you could use safely to wash is a sterile saline solution.

Hi,

My rabbit is going through exactly the same eyelid wound. Can I know how is your rabbit recovery? I am thinking of a surgery for him, but it is too expansive. Is your bunny's eye fine now? Can you send me a picture of it? I will very appreciate. Please contact me with my email: [email protected]

I also would not attempt to treat that myself other than sterile saline eye rinse prior to the vet visit. Sterile Saline eye rinse can be found in the contact lens section of a pharmacy.
The vet will check the eye for damage by placing drops in they eye. When the light is turned off any damage will show up as fluorescent green coloring in the eye.
An injury like this can go bad fast in terms of infection , probably will need ophthalmic antibiotic salve or drops for awhile in addition to a pain med.
I presently have a guinea pig who developed a corneal ulcer simply by getting a piece of hay stuck in her eye; it is responding well to antibiotic salve .

She needs to go to the vet. If the cut gets infected it can get really bad and possibly turn into an abscess and you don't want it to be by her eye! And this can be an expensive surgery depending on the vet office. Either way she will need special cleaning solution from the vet and antibiotics or eye drops or ointment. Don't wait it out.
-vet tech

Latest posts

Back