Advice please for picking from the litter...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairyTailFuzzies

Reaction score
My babies (American Fuzzy Lop) are almost 7weeks now and I'm trying to figure out who is a keeper and who is goingto pet homes. I have a little boywho's ears fellcompletely at 5-6 weeks - so I'm hoping he is a keeper with a nicehead. My question is about toenail color. When doyou show breeders make your decision? I'm just having alittle trouble with the toenails....color seems in on the rear ones butthe front nails still appear very clear. What is the longesttime frame you would wait for nail color to come in? Howyoung would you show your juniors...?

Thanks for your input!:D

Many new breeders overlook the importance ofgeneral type over less important considerations -- picking lops thatare the "cutest" or have the best markings. I can't believehow many disregard a lop with 1/2 a butterfly (worth a mere fraction ofa point deduction!).

The body and head of the AFL are each worth 30 points,sonot only will you be looking for DQs, you'll also want toevaluate their type. Look for depth, width and smoothness inthe body and a well developed head.

The next consideration is the wool. Do the parents have goodwool that is slightly coarse (a very soft coat in seniors is aDQ). Of course, the baby coat will be softer at this point,butgood quality wool will already be evident at avery young age.

Pam

AFLtort.jpg

Opps -- forgot some of the rest of yourquestion. If the toenails allmatch on the front foot, they are probably OK. Awhite one is an obvious DQ.

We generally don't showrabbits before 12 weeks of age -- orwhen they have gone through their first molt. All breeds havea *minimum* show weight to discourage showing very young babies -- forAFL's the minimum show weight is 1 3/4 pounds.

Pam

blackfuzzykit.jpg

Latest posts

Back