Advice on Ivermectin injections plz!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

**SRonchi1

Shaan Ronchi
Reaction score
I've been battling mites with my special needs bunny using Selemectin but on the 3rd dose the mites are back with revenge!!! My vet said we will start her on Ivermectin injections and also treat her dad and brother who she is bonded to.

Has anyone had any side effects with Ivermectin?? Her brother and dad are REW and Coco carries the REW gene so will they have any side effects because of that??

My vet mentioned another type called Divermectin- is that what it's called? That may not pass the blood brain barrier as much as Ivermectin. Need your experiences plz...

If your bunny is a Dutch rabbit, then you shouldn't get the ivermectin injection. Also if they have dutch in there genes.

There is a home remedy that will get rid of ear mites. It is mineral oil. You have to do it for three weeks, the life cycle of the ear mite. I found out about this remedy when Sweetie had ear mites the second time and I didn't have any money to take her in. Hope this helps. When I have to use ivermectin or revolution, I have to keep an eye on Sweetie because I don't know if she has any dutch in her.

Please do not use mineral oil. Just don't....

What was the dosage of Selamectin used? How often were the doses given? How was the environment treated? How were the other 2 rabbits and other animals in the house treated?

http://www.minhdung.com.vn/en/index...mectin-1&catid=89:sterile-solution&Itemid=190
Heres some info on Divermectin.
Hopefully Christina or Jenny will chime in on this topic. I personally wouldn't use anything but Selamectin but that's preference as well as having a rabbit that ivermectin cannot be used on (Vienna marked)

When my REW Giant angora Lillian had fur mites, the vet used ivermectin. I don't know the dose she was given, but it did clear it up. She needed 3 doses and it was around 10 days apart.

BEW and vienna carriers (the vienna gene causes blue eyed whites, but some only have 1 copy of the gene and can have dutch like markings or even just a blue eye or white spots on the face or feet) can have a more sever reaction to ivermectin. I believe it is the same gene mutation in some dog breeds, such as collies, that can cause problems in them as well.

Thanks for all your input. I used puppy and kitten Revolution which is a 0.25ml pipett & the concentration is 60mg/ml so I say she was getting 15mg of Selemectin every 2weeks. She weighs 1.18kg. I thoroughly clean her cage once a week but every day she gets new hay and every second day She gets a clean Vet fleece padding. I also clean water and food crocks every day. I have a bunny play world which is half a big shed & I completely gutted it out & chucked everything in the tip then bought new carpet, beds, toys etc- this was done nearly 2weeks ago. The two boys that are in with her were all treated with Selemectin on all 3doses including my other 4buns- so as you can see it's driving me nuts that they arnt gone!!!! I also have a BEW so she will definatly only be treated with Selemectin. Coco is the only one that the mites are causing problems with, all the others you couldn't tell if they had mites or not! They Mis diagnosed her 4 months ago treating her with baytrill for an "ear infection" which was an itchy ear and half way through the course she ended up with sebbhoeric dermatitis and massive fur loss on her bum/back legs- I think the mites effect her most because the antibiotics would have compromised her immune system!! She just had an itchy ear to start with and no fur loss etc so it just really annoys me it's gone this far and seems like the mites are now immune to Selemectin!!!

We also have 3dogs that live inside and they were treated also with Revolution but only on the second dose. My buns have an inside cage they sleep in that's on a table and only one of the 3buns will hop out and sleep on the bed for the night and that has the sheets and bedding changed/cleaned each week & I have recently (3months ago) had my whole house re carpeted with brand new carpet?

Did your vet do a skin scraping and actually see mites? I am wondering, since the selamectin didn't work if it is something else fungal or bacterial? If you google "rabbit ringworm ears" you might be able to see if any photos match what your rabbit has.

No skin scraping as all of her symptoms lead straight to mites and the first does of Selemectin worked really quickly and hair started growing back. She doesn't have any round lesions, sores or scab crusts and her ears look like healthy rabbit ears but we suspect the mites started as ear mites. She has dandruff at the base of a hair follicle and when brushed pops out easily with the dandruff spec at one end. We are 99.9% certain it's fur mites and I have already looked into ring worm but she doesn't have any symptoms except loss of fur

Sounds pretty certain its ear mites then. I have treated 3 bunnies with ivermectin one of them was only 7 weeks, it wasn't injected it was oral.
They all tolerated it just fine. I have bews and I treated them with selamectin instead. But, I emailed a two people who I knew had bews and they said they treated their rabbits with ivermectin and all their bews did fine. I still decided not to risk the ivermectin on the bews and treated them with selamectin instead. So, that's my experience with the ivermectin.

Great, thanks for your input again :) I've heard ivermectin has side effects and I'm quite protective of my little disabled bunny & don't want her to have some reaction and make her worse off But after treating all of my 7 buns 3 times with Revolution and Coco still has mites leads me with no option but to try her on Ivermectin! Will chat to my vet tomorrow at our appointment and discuss wether to inject or give orally- I think orally probably better as My 3 buns will hate the vet EVEN more if the get "bitten" with Needle whilst there!! Coco already gets a full body tremor but she has had lots of scans etc done!!

Coco sounds very special :)
If it makes you feel any better one of the people I talked to about the ivomec has rabbits for 20 years and uses it twice a year and has never had any bad reactions to it. Its supposed to be pretty safe (just not for the dutch bunnies).

Latest posts

Back