Advice Needed Please.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Ici

Reaction score
Little Puddles (who isn't so little anymore) is a boy. We were told by the shop he was a girl but he's definitely a boy! (I still call him baby and sweetheart though because I'm a softie).

Puddles is around 7 months old now, unneutered (his appointment is in February) and is nicely settled.

Earlier this week we got Sonic - a cute, sticky-up eared boy rabbit unlike Puddles who's a lop eared. Sonic is 5 weeks old, small compared to Puddles and jet black with grey feet :)

We bought a new cage for Sonic and put it next to Puddles' so they could get used to each other. All seemed OK but at the first sign of contact OUTSIDE the cage, Puddles will fight. Luckily we didn't call the little one Sonic for nothing - he's FAST!!!!

So after a few days I have no idea how to bond these two cuties. Puddles is rubbing his chin on everything in sight "That's Mine, that's mine...!" and is obviously a bit threatened - he even peed outside his litter tray for the first time in months this morning.

Any advice what to do?

Thanks

x

You should definitely wait until BOTH rabbits are spayed/neutered. A rabbit that is 5 weeks old isn't even supposed to be away from it's mom and litter mates yet, so it is definitely not ready for bonding.

ETA: If both rabbits are males, you are probably going to have a difficult bonding experience, even if both are neutered. Bonding two males together is one of the most difficult bonds.

Yes, you will have to wait until both are fixed. And it will take couple of months after Puddle's neuter for his hormones to wear off, so you will have to wait for that as well. Until then, I think you are doing the best thing, with the side by side cages and separate play times. It is harder to bond boys, but it can be done. Get Sonic neutered as soon as he "drops" and that will help as well.

I would definitely wait until both are neutered. They could bond while un-neutered, but then fight later on (I've heard of that happening). If you want the best possible relationship for the two of them, just wait for a few weeks after both are neutered (it takes awhile for the hormones to dissipate).

Being that Sonic is only five-weeks old, which shocks me that they would take him away from momma so soon, "he" might in fact wind up being a "she". I would check Sonic as he gets older to make sure that he stays a he! The gender fairy can visit at random! ;)

The best way to bond two rabbits is by setting them up for success. Let them be neutered, let the hormones dissipate, then try some bonding sessions in a neutral territory. That's the best you could do :)

Good luck! :biggrin2:

They're both girls ...(apparently).

Puddles is definitely a girl becuase she was neutered last week.
Sonic has been identified as a girl also (although I have my doubts because "she" rubs her chin on everything and poos everywhere to mark territory...

Little Sonic is being very aggressive nowadays and I'm scared that if it doesn't stop we might have to let her go, even though she is loved a lot and it would break my heart :nerves1

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=44687&forum_id=48

Mr. Ici wrote:
They're both girls ...(apparently).

Puddles is definitely a girl becuase she was neutered last week.
Sonic has been identified as a girl also (although I have my doubts because "she" rubs her chin on everything and poos everywhere to mark territory...

Little Sonic is being very aggressive nowadays and I'm scared that if it doesn't stop we might have to let her go, even though she is loved a lot and it would break my heart :nerves1
How old is Sonic now?
Is she aggressive to you and/or Puddles?

An "aggressive" animal doesn't have to be rehomed, it just takes time and patience to work them through it. Sonic may not even be label as "aggressive" because she could just be going through puberty and needing a spay soon.

Latest posts

Back