Advice needed ASAP please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummybunny

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for some fast info/advice please.

Yesterday early afternoon Miffy scoffed some leaves of a Dracaena plant(about 6 half leaves) and a few mouthfuls of a bit of a Peace Lillyleaf.

I had STUPIDLY leaft these plants within reach.

This morning she seems uninterested in eating her breakfast. She is notteeth crunching or appearing to be in pain but she is not tempted byanything I give her.

Should I take her to the vet? How toxic are these plants? Has she eaten enough to do damage?

Please help ASAP

Thank you so much

mummybunny

Dracena isnt thatthe tall spikey leaved , tree type plant, Or are you talking aboutthe one called Dumb Cane , Itend to get them confused unless I see them ,

Dumb Cane isnt so muchtoxic as it is sharp, my meaning is they have sharpcrystals that form in the juicepart of a plant similar to Pointsettia's,

I am not aware of the Spikeytree type leaves as being toxic butif in doubt Iwould Ring the Vet and ask ., betterto ask and know thennot ask and have something bad happen.

Agave (leaves) :

Dracena ( dragn Tree , ) Is an Agae plantthere for yes it is toxicsorry call your Vet asap

Dragontree
Scientific Name:Dracaenamarginata Lam.
Synonym:
Family:Agavaceae

Recommended Temperature Zone:
sunset: 21,23-24
USDA: 10-12

Frost Tolerance: Does okay in Phoenix in a warm location of the garden

Heat Tolerance: Light shade in Phoenix, ideally on the south side of a wall, under an overhang

Sun Exposure: Full sun or light shade

Origin: Madagascar

Growth Habits: Very slowly up to 20 feet (6 m)

Watering Needs: Regular water for optimum growth

Propagation: Seeds or air-layering in spring, cuttings in summer

Poisoning:"Activated charcoal is used orally toprevent the absorption of various toxins (e.g. insecticides, aspirinoverdose) from the stomach and intestines. It must be given soon afterthe ingestion of the toxin/poison. It is not an antidote and othersupportive care and medications may be needed for the treatment of thepoisoning."

http://www.brentwoodpetclinic.com/veterinarymedications.html

Would get the little one to the vet RightAway. Will say a prayer. I hope she makesit.

-Carolyn

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,832,00.html

Oreo has munched my peace lilly plant leavesbefore and was fine....its since been put out of that lil mouthsreach... naughty bunny!

I'll be praying that Miffy with be alright.

Keep us posted about the condition of Miffy. Thoughts and prayers will be with me,

:pray:

Good luck, I really hope Miffy is okay! Tuftyeats all sorts of things too, like dead ivy leaves.. Best of luck, Itmay turn out to be not poisonous. x x x

Thank you everyone, Miffy is just fine.

I called the vet and we took her in. Typically she started munchinggrass and did a pee inher box on the way to the vet.

He gave her an antibiotic jab and a multivitamin jab, took hertemperature and examined her abdomen. We are just to keep an eye onher. She very quickly gained her appetite back and did lots ofdroppings. She's been totally fine since. THANK GOD.

It was terrifying to think she could have been harmed cause I left 2plants in her reach. I should have known better. I will definetlyresearch plants too see if they are suitable to be around buns infuture, in fact, even better - make sure thay are ALL out of reach.

I'm glad I didn't learn the hard way.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR PLANTS OUT OF REACH OF YOUR BUNS. I had no idea somany were toxic to our wee furkids until this happened and I begansearching the net. It's really scary. Thank you again for your prayersand advice.

mummybunny

PHEW what a reliefto see this thead this morning I wasa bit fearfull to even look, I am so gladeverything worked itself thru ,dang plants and our love for having themaround ., there are so manypoisonous one out there its so hardto tell what is and what isnt ,

Scritch her ears for me . thanks for the update .

Latest posts

Back