Advice needed about poopy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUSTBUNNY-CLYDE

Reaction score
Dustbunny is 9 mos. old neutered male lionhead. food - unlimited timothy and oat hay, oxbow essentials, small amounts of fresh greens, occasional treats, 1 small piece of papaya at bedtime.

He has had small amounts of little dark poopy the last 2 days. about half the size of normal. The last 8 hours not pooping at all. peeing, drinking, eating fine, acting fine

This is the first time I experienced abnormal poopy. any suggestions???

update: 4 small poopies! tried feeding canned pumpkin, refusing it. he is a very picky eater. I do have this acidophilis plus liquid. ingredients are papaya puree, noni juice , cranberry juice, spring water, lacto acid.,cultures,yucco,vitamin c. should I put this in his water?

Sounds like the start of GI stasis. I would suggest pulling all treats and pellets, feed nothing sugary, and feed only hay and leafy greens for a few days until his poop goes back to normal. If the oat hay has seed heads, you will need to remove those before feeding, as you are trying to limit carbs. After that you may need to reduce or eliminate treats completely, from his diet, and possibly reduce or eliminate pellets. If his condition gets worse, or he stops eating and/or pooping for more than 12 hours, I would suggest getting him right to the vet. I wouldn't give that probiotic as it sounds like it has a lot of sugars in it.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=484#.UZ8FPbx7LTo.twitter
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Last edited:
:yeahthat:

I don't know much about bunny sicknesses but I hope your bunny will be alright. I'll be praying for him. :pray:

Jenny, if you don't mind me asking how did you get so good at knowing about bunny sicknesses? I'd love to learn some more myself.

Your probably as good as a bunny savvy vet! :)

:yeahthat:

I don't know much about bunny sicknesses but I hope your bunny will be alright. I'll be praying for him. :pray:

Jenny, if you don't mind me asking how did you get so good at knowing about bunny sicknesses? I'd love to learn some more myself.

Your probably as good as a bunny savvy vet! :)

Thanks. That's kind of you to say, I certainly don't feel quite that experienced. Some of it is just personal experience with my own rabbits. Unfortunately I knew nothing until I had a rabbit get sick and die from stasis. After that I did a lot of research about it, and read peoples personal experiences to learn as much as possible. Then I got a new rabbit that got stasis from the stress of a new home, so I was much more prepared and was able to catch it early and help him through it. So a lot of research, and experience with my own buns. I'm also extremely careful about diets. I don't feed any sugary treats(much to my rabbits dissappointment I'm sure :) ). The only treats I feed are greens, a few dried plants, and for a few of my buns with less sensitive digestions, a very small slice of carrot. I also check their poop every day, and if I notice any soft poop or small ones, I stop pellets and feed hay and greens until the poop is normal, and permanently reduce pellet amounts and increase leafy veggies.

Things that I haven't experienced with my own rabbits, I learn from other peoples accounts, and from good rabbit resource pages(google is my friend :) ). I can share a few that I like. You also have to be aware when looking into things, that there are differing opinions, and so I sift through things and decide what makes the most sense, and also what seems to be the most consistant between all that I've read. I will also browse other rabbit forums, as some people on there have invaluable experience, and sound suggestions based on that experience, so I try and learn from that as well.

So here are a few links, but go into it being aware that some of these sites are medically based, and so may have some disturbing info such as photos that can be uncomfortable to look at.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/index_en.htm
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/List_Vols/Wildpro_Gen_Cont.htm
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/rabbithealth.html

we were stress bonding last week and could of caused this. we stopped because they were shaking so much after the car ride for 2 or 3 hours and hated to see them like that. dunno?

he did poop 20 more poops in the last hour. they are still tiny. I palpated his belly real well and is soft non-tender. I took away pellets and gave him some greens. He doesn't like too many greens!! he has always been the more timid, fragile, cautious one!!!

update: 4 small poopies! tried feeding canned pumpkin, refusing it. he is a very picky eater. I do have this acidophilis plus liquid. ingredients are papaya puree, noni juice , cranberry juice, spring water, lacto acid.,cultures,yucco,vitamin c. should I put this in his water?
--if it isnot mentioned--no dairy products-period,-use probiotics-(powdered)-mix w-food,- available at farm,grain feederies,,--other than that diet sounds good--here is a link that will help-if not found in this library http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html --you sound like a very good mom --sincerely james waller :goodjob:heartbeat::bunny18

We always have some alfalfa handy if they stop eating too. A little bit will usually get ours started and back to gobbling orchard grass. We have one that would shut down when I took them in for a nail clipping--don't know if it was the very short car ride or just all the strange people and surroundings--but I learned how to cut them myself and eliminated that problem.

still small poops. felt his belly- soft and he doesn't seem in discomfort. massaged it for a while. he is nibbling on hay, tried to offer herbs and greens and refused them. he is running around playing and acting normal????

Back