Advice for Sick Baby Girl Jackie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOOOSKA

Reaction score
Hi, can everyone say a prayer for my Baby GirlJackie, she didn't eat this am, nor did she go poo poo. Hertummy had gurgling sounds. Of course our vet closed at1:00pm, thankfully she gave me the name of a Rabbit Savvy vet not 5minutes away from us.

I brought Jackie there, they took an xray, gave her some IV fluids andgave me an appetite stimulent. They also said to give her theCritical care 4 times a day.

They suggested we keep her there till Tuesday, but I asked if we couldmonitor her as the last time we split up her and Wilbur they ended upfighting. It took us about 3 months to get them to be friendsagain.

My husband & I will really monitor her to make sure she eats & does her poo poos.

I actually wrote this one in say a prayer, but now i need more advice.

Jackie still hasn't gone Poo Poo yet. We have given her asecond dose of Critical Care. She's not drinking water. Weare trying to get her to move around.

Please any more advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Soooska

Try giving Jackie a tummy massage, as deep asshe will let you. Also check her bottom see if there is some poop stuckin it....even if not a wipe with a warm and damp paper towel may helpto stimulate her.

Willow had a blockage earlier this week.....she had'nt eaten or poopedin a while, and when i picked her up she had a hard dark poop stuck inher bottom. We wiped her off then massaged her and repeated it every 2hrs.

I hope some more savy owners will pick up this thread with more ideas. Until then I will give you my best throughts .

I would also get some canned pumpkin and feed itto her via syringe. You can also make a slurry out of pelletsand water and syringe that to her as well. I did this forabouta week when Corky was so sick...it'll help keep herstrength up, get her the nutrients she needs and hopefully get thatsystem moving.

Giving her some pedialyte wouldn't be a bad idea either, helps tohydrate her. Nutrical will help stimulate her appetite too andhopefully help with blockage.

I would suggest doing a search on the forums for GI Statis and do thereading...but these are a few things that will get youstarted.

Good luck and sending prayers you and Jackie's way! Keep us posted on how she's doing!

Hi Soooska,

:pray:

It's critical to keep her hydrated. Get some Pedialyte to boost her electrolytes, and I'd give her a bit ever 4 hours.

If you haven't checked out the GI Stasis post in the Cheat Sheet withinthe Top Picks thread, do so. There's a small list of items that I'dsuggest you be giving her and it's on the last page, the last time Ichecked the thread.

Simethicone (infant baby gas formula. I wonder if the gurgling you'rehearing could be an indication of gas), canned pumpkin, tetracyclinehas helped me with mine (an antibiotic if she's not on it), CriticalCare, and fresh pineapple juice if you can get it. The dosage amountsare in the thread. Earlier in the thread, it will tell you where youcan get these items. Many are over-the-counter (without the need of aperscription), and it'll give you a better description of them ifyou're unsure of what it is.

Let her hop and exercise if she's able. You want to keep that belly moving. A massage has known to help as well.

You're in my thoughts and prayers, Friend. Please keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Actually, if you're feeding Critical Care youwon't really need to feed pumpkin or a pellet slurry unless she prefersthe taste. It should take the place of those. Areyou syringe-feeding her water? If you're not doing that, I'dsuggest starting. Pedialyte (no-sugar drink for dehydratedinfants) is a good option, too.

I'm assuming there's no blockage? If she doesn't startpooping soon, I would suggest calling your vet and asking for gutmotility drugs. They stimulate the intestines and make themmove more, but are dangerous if the rabbit has an intestinal blockagelike a hairball. Babybunnywrigley's vet used one of them withgood success. *Checks Rabbit Health in the 21st Century*the two drugs commonly used on rabbits are Propulsid (cisapride)and Reglan (metaclopramide). The book also recommends painmedication, massage, and keeping her temperature up. Maybeyou could use a hot water bottle wrapped in towels and put it nearher? Then she can choose to snuggle in.

You'll be in my thoughts.

Hi.Jackie has eaten a small amount of carrottops, she has poo pooed about 5-6 small ones. We are givingher the Critical Care too and the appetite stimulant that the vet gaveus. She has drank a little water this am.

We are really keeping an eye on her.

Thanks for all your advice & prayers.

Soooska

If you can't get Pedialyte, you can useGatorade. Pedialyte only comes in big bottles here so I would waste itbut was given the tip of using Gatorade (not Powerade -- it has moresugar than Gatorade). It will replace electrolytes in the rabbit.

Hi, Jackie has eaten carrot tops and gone Poo Poo, they are small but at least she's goning.

We are Keeping a close eye on her.

Soooska

i would take her back to the vet hun i know u r doing ur best but she may need iv again not sure u can give that xx

Which vet did you take her too the second time... is it the one up near the Burger King?

Susan

Hi Susan, it's on Bailey & Liverpool. It's called the Millenium Animal Hospital.

It's near a Price Chooper. I didn't know it was there. They specialize in Exotic animals.

Soooska

Just to let you know for future reference thatthe animal clinic that is on Finley Ave near Burger King has a vet thatis rabbit savy.... the phone number is (905)683-6430. Her name is Dr.Mimi Ehrlich. She looked after Cleo when I was upthere. Just a little FYI

Kathy Smith is a good friend of mine, wrote the book on Rabbit Health in the 21st Century.

She always gives her rabbits canned pumpkikn when they go into Stasisor have a blockage. She said the canning process does help them. Mixedwith the Critical Care wouldn't hurt the rabbit, just increase theamount of fiber for the rabbit, which we know can only help.

Kathy uses it as a staple treatment. Between her research andexperience with rabbits and her background in pharmaceuticals, I followher lead.

:)

(By the way, she's writing a 3rd book. :yes: )

-Carolyn

Does she have any tips for somebunny that snubsher pumpkin???? Miss Oreo is shedding like crazy and with all thescares of statis lately I've started the pumpkin now and then.....butshe thinks she's too good for it, and I'd rather not force it viasyringe.

She'll tell me to syringe feed it if I have to, and I do. She says give as much as the rabbit will take.

The canned pumpkin is extremely high in fiber and has no sugar in it. They can not get the same benefit from fresh pumpkin.

-Carolyn

Bah...ok....was just hoping for another way totempt her...may try the syringe thing then....watering it down a bit isok to get it in there easier?

Also, s/ I go more than once a week when they are shedding so much?

Latest posts

Back