Advice for Diamond's Cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treasuresandstuff

Reaction score
I need to get a pic but I want to finish the floor first so she is out of the bedding which I will use to absorb urine in the pan. I want to eventually make it multi leveled.

For now it is 3 foot by 2 foot with an open top. She has yet to jump out. Half the floor is semi finished so she does have a shelf to get out of the bedding but the holes are too big. I got 1x 1/2 inch cage wire to finish the bottom. I'll do it soon. My biggest question is how tall does each level need to be? She is a baby right now and when she stands up she is almost a foot tall.

When I say baby I really mean it, she is 9 weeks old now. I was told she would not get over 5 lbs. But she weighs just barely under 2 lbs now.

One more thing for now, is 1 in x 1in cage wire ok to make a hay rack with? I got one foot by 24 inches of it to give both my buns hay racks.

I could still use some advice on how tall each level should be, I do not want her to feel cramped. I plan on leaving the top level open unless I make a double decker type cage where each rabbit has two levels but its technically one cage. I'm still trying to figure out how I would put in a sliding tray for Burnie if I went there.

If you add a photo, it will be easier for folks to make suggestions.:)

DSCF3281.jpg

There is a full front view of the cage as is. It still needs work, I am just not happy with it as is.

DSCF3283.jpg

There she is on a temp rest mat. I'm looking at several kinds on line from woven grass mats to plastic rest mats to ceramic tiles and blanket types. Trying to decide which to try and which to forget about.

DSCF3289.jpg

There is Diamond eating hay out of a feed dish. I have plans to make a hay rack for her.

Its about 8 inches from the floor I installed to the top of the walls. She has not acted like she was going to jump out yet, but I am wanting to give a second level with a door and top that has a door in it too. I just don't know how tall each level should be.

Just want to remind everyone she is just under 10 weeks old.

Put your second level floor flush with the tops of the existing grids.

She will be able to jump up very soon, so you might as well prepare the cage for her adult capacities... My little dutch girl is about Diamond's size, and she can do 8 inches easily (all the more reason to get your other level on there, stat ;) )... adult 2 lb dutch can jump one of those grids you've used with ease.

I would suggest the seagrass mats as flooring... they are cheap, and make an entertaining chew toy, as well as serving the resting board purpose.

Yeah, I had to take the bars part of the old smaller cage she used to be in to use as a top while I find more grids or get some more wire to use. She hopped out over night and I had to catch her to put her back. So, 8 inches is not too short of a level? I was thinking of giving another 10 inches head space and putting in a door for the first floor so I could get her from wither level if I needed to.

8 inches is a good level for somebunny her size. You can always increase it as she grows, or use it as a "stepping stone" to a higher level in the future.

10 inches headspace isn't bad. She should have enough room to stand up on her hind legs and look around.
I think you should keep the entire cage top covered, though.

Ok she is only 10 weeks I was told she will get at least twice this size when full grown. So I want to finish the cage as she would need it for full grown size, not make it to her size she is now. When I said ten inches I meant add ten inches to the eight exsisting for 18 inches vertical space floor to roof on that level. It would also let me put in a door on the first floor. If I only added 2 inches so it was ten inches total I could not do that.

While I did use some zip ties, I am also having to use J-clips in building this and those are hard to remove and more expensive to replace than zips.

Yes, when the second level is added there will be a hinged top so I can open the entire top to get in and clean the second level as I am considering making it a solid floor.

Problem with that is that if I want to make it a double decker for Burnie, I can not have the hinged door on top . . .Hmm. The second level will need more thinking and I need to see where I can find another large solid plastic bottom for a second cage for Burnie if I decide against a double decker. . .

J-Clips more expensive? I'd much rather use J-Clips than ties...

They're $6 for about 400 of them. xD I do agree with them being a pain to take off, but I trust them much more than the ties...

Yeah but I got 8 blisters on the hand working the clamp, I wasted 34 because I could not get them to latch before they closed, and zip ties don't hurt me when using them. When necessary I will use J-clips, don't get me wrong. I just prefer to not hurt lol. I'd love to know hwere you get you Jclips. I paid $5 for 300. I can't usually afford shipping from online sources so have to go with what I find locally. Being kinda in the boonies we have to deal with some higher prices. Gas is cheaper though lol, what a trade off! Don't worry, I will strive to make this the best cage Diamond has ever seen.

Latest posts

Back