Advice for a bunny who partially stopped using his litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
So my male 11 month old mini rex (neutered October 31st, 2019) decided to stop using his litter box. It started when he had a bit of GI stasis that has been taken care of. I don’t know if the two are related but about 3/4 weeks ago, he just partially stopped using his litter box. He does use it for the most part because his hay is in there but I’ll wake up in the morning and there will be about 20 poops scattered around his cage and 2 spots of pee. He tends to pee in those same 2 spots when it’s out of the litter box.

I haven’t moved his enclosure or changed anything up. He also recently started peeing on couches. He’s done it 4-5 times in the past month and half.

I pick up the poos, place them in the litter box, and wipe the pee (I can’t clean it all right away since his flooring is soft and fleece but I change it every 2-3 days).

Any advice? Not sure what’s up with this dude but he’s a very small trouble maker.

My rabbit, Trixie is a princess. And when I mean princess, she doesn't like pooping in the same spot over and over. So if there's pee/poop in one area, she'll move to a cleaner spot in her box and do her business. When it's "full" to her, then she starts going elsewhere. I finally figured out that she prefers to have a clean slate at night so I put a new fresh layer of litter right before bed and everything stays in.

Maybe that's the same case with your little guy?

Now if only I can get her to stop peeing/pooping in my bed as payback for clipping her nails.

Missy kept pooping outside her litter box when we first brought her home... like all the way across her pen like she was too lazy to get up and go... she liked to go right in front of my closet door... but i just moved a litter box to where she kept going and slowly moved it like a few inches before i fed her in the morning and before i put her in the pen to sleep! she uses it (most) of the time now! i also saw a big improvement in pee accidents yesterday when i gave her 2nd cut hay instead of 1st cut because i guess she liked it more.. and every time i caught her trying to go anywhere outside the litter box, i would scoop her up as fast as i could and set her in the box. apple cider vinegar and carpet cleaner got the pee stains out! The more hay i put in the box the less accidents she has! oh and i switched from wood pellets to kaytee small animal potty litter i don't know if it made a difference but i like to tell myself it did. sorry if this is long, hope it helps!

My rabbit, Trixie is a princess. And when I mean princess, she doesn't like pooping in the same spot over and over. So if there's pee/poop in one area, she'll move to a cleaner spot in her box and do her business. When it's "full" to her, then she starts going elsewhere. I finally figured out that she prefers to have a clean slate at night so I put a new fresh layer of litter right before bed and everything stays in.

Now if only I can get her to stop peeing/pooping in my bed as payback for clipping her nails.

Missy pees in my bed too.. every time she gets on there... its gross but i did research and its because your bed smells like you and they want to mark you as their territory. you might be right about her just giving you revenge but if you want to try and see if it helps you can spray this stuff Clorox makes! its called Clorox urine spray.. or something along those lines..

Missy pees in my bed too.. every time she gets on there... its gross but i did research and its because your bed smells like you and they want to mark you as their territory. you might be right about her just giving you revenge but if you want to try and see if it helps you can spray this stuff Clorox makes! its called Clorox urine spray.. or something along those lines..
I'll look into it. Right now I've been using the Nature's Miracle No More Marking Spray. Luckily I have a waterproof mattress cover so it doesn't soak into the actual bed itself but I spray just in case. She's only done it a handful of times since I've adopted her in November of last year. She literally waits for an opportune time when no one is in the room to do it. The last few times, my boyfriend had forgotten to put her in her hutch when he leaves the room (and I'm not there either) so she takes full advantage of it lol.

I'll look into it. Right now I've been using the Nature's Miracle No More Marking Spray. Luckily I have a waterproof mattress cover so it doesn't soak into the actual bed itself but I spray just in case. She's only done it a handful of times since I've adopted her in November of last year. She literally waits for an opportune time when no one is in the room to do it. The last few times, my boyfriend had forgotten to put her in her hutch when he leaves the room (and I'm not there either) so she takes full advantage of it lol.

that's relatable lol she knows i'll push her off if she tries to do it with me around haha i have stuff on the bed so she cant get to it and since covid i'm basically home 24/7 to keep an eye on her

He has a fresh litter box and fresh hay before I go to sleep. I use pee pads clipped to the litter box and change them out once a day at night.

He has a fresh litter box and fresh hay before I go to sleep. I use pee pads clipped to the litter box and change them out once a day at night.

maybe try more litter and less hay... or less litter and more hay... at this point you're just trying to see what works and what doesnt just make sure you have an air freshener or two

maybe try more litter and less hay... or less litter and more hay... at this point you're just trying to see what works and what doesnt just make sure you have an air freshener or two
Litter like care fresh? I have carefresh and woodstove pellets both stocked but I never use them since I switch out the pee pad so often. I'll try incorporating them both and see how it goes.

Litter like care fresh? I have carefresh and woodstove pellets both stocked but I never use them since I switch out the pee pad so often. I'll try incorporating them both and see how it goes.

in that case it may help! i use the Kaytee small animal potty litter.. cause its cheap.. but Missy likes it, i think, so its all good! if you're not using litter she may have been used to litter so she/or he may just feel like her paws are gonna get soaked in pee when she goes... honestly i wouldn't blame her if that's the case haha

Ok, just added carefresh so we'll see what happens. Literally a minute ago he peed right by his food bowls. I just changed his fleece last night!

Ok, just added carefresh so we'll see what happens. Literally a minute ago he peed right by his food bowls. I just changed his fleece last night!

wishing for the best!

Could it be that his litterbox is too clean? I’ve heard some rabbits are very choosy when it comes to their toilet areas.

Air fresheners are not safe to use around bunnies.

What’s wrong with air fresheners? I have 2 diffusers in my apartment and never had any issues.
I've heard the heavy chemical, aerosol ones can irritate the respiratory system, but diffusers should be okay... I had an essential oil air freshener that had such a strong scent it drove Willa and I batty, but we got a milder one that was okay (I think candles can do a fantastic job, but to each their own!)

I've heard the heavy chemical, aerosol ones can irritate the respiratory system, but diffusers should be okay... I had an essential oil air freshener that had such a strong scent it drove Willa and I batty, but we got a milder one that was okay (I think candles can do a fantastic job, but to each their own!)
Oh! Ya, I would never spray anything near my bun. I only use vinegar and water to clean his area and occasionally a pet-safe enzyme stain remover. I don't even mop the floor within a couple feet of his enclosure. Better safe than sorry!

Anything with a strong smell is not safe to use. Bunnies have very delicate respiratory systems. I do not use any candles, diffusers, essential oils, air fresheners, nothing. Better safe than sorry. Anyway, a healthy bunny whose litter tray is cleaned regularly does not smell at all.

Latest posts

Back