Adventures With Karona

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karona

Reaction score
Well I couldnt find the old blog...its been too long. Karona is now 1 year old and full grow. She has turned out to be a very large bunny, not what we expected when we got her as a little 1/4lb bun at 1.5 months. But oh well more to love...or be ruled by?? When we last checked in we were going throught alot of problems with littler training. I had given up because she is brain damaged and I figured she would never grasp it. I left it in there as she enjoyed dingging and sleeping in the care fresh (she has a wire cage). well a few weeks ago she was pooping in it, then pee, and slowly she stopped going in the rest of the cage. i guess becuase she is a little slow it took a bit for her to fully develope and get the idea. She is also now calmed into quite a lazy bun. if you remeber before we had troubles with her running about constantly, jumping gates, and being a rangly yet loveable bun. Now as I type she sits in my lap grunting which we ahve now discovered is a noise of happyness and affection. Each day with her is special to me and even thought my sweet Chloe was such a joy with her tricks, quick wits, and loveing calm nature haveing Karona arround is quite an adventure. Somedays I think one part of her brain was injured yet the rest is super advanced as she seems to constantly out smart all of us.

We will update with pics on here

DSC00108.jpg

She still loves this bag...

DSC00106.jpg

No one can see me...

DSC00114.jpg

I am a duck...

DSC00123.jpg

Hummmmm

DSC00109.jpg

I love mommy!!!

Montanna-Yes she has one on her cheak, and one on each side. You can see the check and the one side in that pic.

Bunnys-rule63-Thats its great to be back! I am glad we were missed!!!

I love her hearts! She is gorgeous!

What is her personality like? does she like to be held?

Thanks all she is very special to me. I love her to the end of the earth. I am sure you all understand why I took her in, she is just so neat looking and so amazingly unique.

Bo B-She is as unique in personality as she is in everything. She is a mommys girl that is for sure. Becuse of her condition her personality differs, on a day where she is more confused she is a cuddler, she will look up at me and stand against my leg to be picked up. Some days I cant set her down to paly as she needs to constantly be held and ususaly those are days where had feeding is nessary. Other days when she is more coherent she is a little ripper and loves to run arround the living room and fling boxes 4 feet in the air and chase the dog. Yet even on these days she always slows down to chexck and be sure mom is still in the next room. i ahve left here there while I quick used the facilities and she came looking at that moment and when I wasnt there she stared clawing th door and screeching. Needless to say now when I leave in that direction she follows so she now come with me....:?Anyhow she is a sweetie.

I have never online met Karona before tonight, I must have missed your blog somewhere between 2am and 3am ;)
What a unique bunny! She looks like such a sweet little lady.

I don't know much about her history and I am sorry if this is a stupid question...I am a bit behind Karonas story...how was she injured?

Sorry if you have to explain again, she is just so interesting and I love the way she toilet trained slowly but eventually, just goes to show that consistency and time will win most times.

:inlove:

lemonaxis-Good question! I have never explained that in her blog. here is what I wrote in the disabeled buns section. I will re poste another thing I wrote in a second.

a. What is your rabbit's name and condition(illness)?
[highlight= #ffff88]Karona, she was dropped as an infant and had a brused brain and a malformed spine. Now has bad sight, a head tilt, and brain delay.

b. What special things do you need to do for your rabbit on a regular basis?
Very, very slow learning. Took over a year to be litter trained.

Ofeten needs to be hand fed, or prompted to eat.

Occasionaly looses blalance.

Needs alot of general attention (like an infant still)

Needs to be flipped over when she falls

c. What things do you sometimes have to do for your rabbits? (ie - maybe it needs a "butt bath" once a week or something like that).

Same as B

d. How much time per day do you spend taking care of your rabbit?

Alot!! She sleeps in a wire cage at night (helps grip for balance, not easy for her to fall in) but During the time when we are home she takes over a room of the house. It varries but usualy she is supervised upstairs for about 3-6 hours a day.

e. I was on a disabled bunnies list once and they talked about knowing when to let you rabbit go. They said to judge it by the three a's ~ is the rabbit alert, affectionate (with other humans) and does it have an appetite and enjoy its food. How is your rabbit doing in these three areas?
She is sometimes alert, on bad days she just likes to sit n be alone.

Affectionate, she is only liek that with me, I was her first human contact and the only one she accepeted.

Appitite, sometimes forgets how to eat and requires assistance.

f. Do you ever have a hard time being a caregiver to a rabbit with these needs? (Please feel free to skip this question or any others that you don't feel comfortable with)

It gets hard sometimes. it can be frustrating, I found litter training hard ans I did give up but in the end I love her.

g. What advice would you give to someone who has just discovered that their rabbit has a condition that means they will be a 'special needs' bunny?

Stick with it. its frustrating sometimes and when that happens step back and look at the big picture. I keep a progress journal so when I think its hopeless to teach her things I look and see all the milestones we overcame.

Ok this was a reply when I described her and Bo B Bunny had a question about her.

I know she is brain damaged because I got her from the shelter where I work and she was very young (about 3 weeks) when she came in. She was brought in by a neighbour of the previous owners. The neighbour was putting out their garbage and they saw the owner put 2 bunnys in a box and put them out with the garbage. They were dropped at the curb. The neighbour brought in the bunnys and we x rayed her and she spin had been injured and she had a bruised brain. We re-habbed her and I decided to keep her. She has a perminate slight head tilt and has little sight in one eye as weel as very bad balance and slow groth.

Basicaly my old bun Chloe had just been put down and one of the girls showed me this sweet baby and I ahd to take her. She was a foster but I could never let go.

Latest posts

Back