Advantage for rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyLouie

Reaction score
Hi guys, I live in the US and I’ve posted another threat about revolution but I noticed I just do not have enough funds to buy revolution for my rabbit since I have to take him to the vet to get it prescribed. I also notice there is a lack of exotic veterinarians here where I live so that’s another problem. I’ve decided to use advantage and will be buying it tmr. I just wanted to ask what is the right one I should be buying. My rabbit is 4-5 pounds so which one should I get? From what I see these are the ones that are available

Attachments

• 77021911-8928-42A1-8D81-A2B50FB45CC9.png
    77021911-8928-42A1-8D81-A2B50FB45CC9.png
    404.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 15130255-C611-4EBB-938F-CBDD29CE098E.png
    15130255-C611-4EBB-938F-CBDD29CE098E.png
    436.1 KB · Views: 2
Also is there any difference between those advantage treatment and this advantage treatment?

Attachments

• 5557F557-2F5F-4AD8-B433-48CDF7225366.png
    5557F557-2F5F-4AD8-B433-48CDF7225366.png
    472.6 KB · Views: 3
  • EB99D597-A95F-4151-B9D3-FC5F0EC88A58.png
    EB99D597-A95F-4151-B9D3-FC5F0EC88A58.png
    516.1 KB · Views: 3
Original Advantage is the only Advantage formula specifically recommended for use with rabbits in treating fleas, which is still available in Europe but not in the US. Advantage II is sold here in the US, but has an added chemical in it to make it more effective in killing fleas. But some rabbits may be sensitive to this and it could cause side effects. It's your choice if you want to take the risk, but personally I would only recommend Revolution(selamectin). If you've been to the vet in the past at all, you may be able to call them up and make a request to pick up a tube of Revolution, which is dosed at 18mg/kg when treating fleas on rabbits, and is a spot on application.

The kitten dose is just a smaller dose than the cat dose, since kittens are smaller.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Fleas
Medirabbit: fleas

Medirabbit: safe antiparasitics (imidacloprid dosing)

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Original Advantage is the only Advantage formula specifically recommended for use with rabbits in treating fleas, which is still available in Europe but not in the US. Advantage II is sold here in the US, but has an added chemical in it to make it more effective in killing fleas. But some rabbits may be sensitive to this and it could cause side effects. It's your choice if you want to take the risk, but personally I would only recommend Revolution(selamectin). If you've been to the vet in the past at all, you may be able to call them up and make a request to pick up a tube of Revolution, which is dosed at 18mg/kg when treating fleas on rabbits, and is a spot on application.

The kitten dose is just a smaller dose than the cat dose, since kittens are smaller.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Fleas
Medirabbit: fleas

Medirabbit: safe antiparasitics (imidacloprid dosing)

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
Sounds good.. do I have to make an appointment with them for them to approve the medication at all or can I do like you said about just requesting it and picking it up? Also what are the side effects? Is it like really bad that it COULD kill my rabbit or something equivalent? I do have a vet I know if I could go to that has an exotic veterinarian BUT I do not trust them as in the past when taking my deceased now but ill rabbit Benjamin that had a recurring abscess wasn’t being taken to the actual doctor and instead being checked out by the nurses there. I would be worried that this would happen again and might put my rabbits life in danger if they give me the wrong instructions..

You would have to call them and see. I don't know if your vet will require that you bring your rabbit in or not. Yes, I would suggest saying this is for a rabbit.

Revolution seems to be the safest and most effective flea treatment for rabbits. I would use it over Advantage any time. But as with any medication, there is always some small possibility of an animal having an adverse reaction. So though it is generally considered safe, nothing is completely without risk.

If they give you the right flea medication, which is Revolution(selamectin), and it's a tube for a 15lb cat/dog, then it would be the right dose for your rabbit. Rabbits get 3 times the cat/dog dose. For your rabbit at 4-5lb(2kg), the dose would be approx. 32-50mg(25mg/kg dose was used in the rabbit study). A single tube of Revolution blue box for 5.1-15lb cats, is 45mg, and would be about the right dose. Or 3 tubes of the puppy/kitten box, that are 15mg each tube, together would be the needed 45mg. If your rabbit is right at 4lbs or just under that, then one tube of the 30mg purple dog dose could be used instead.

If you have to buy the whole box, and don't want to keep any extra on hand for another time, I would get the kitten box and use 2-3 tubes, depending on your buns weight. If you only have to buy a single tube, I would get the 30mg purple dog tube for under 4lb rabbit, or the cat blue tube for over 4lbs and up to 5.5lb rabbit. If you have to pay for a whole box and want to keep extra on hand, I would get the purple dog or blue cat box. And just make sure it's the regular Revolution and not the Revolution Plus.

Frontline(fipronil) is the one you should NEVER apply on rabbits, as it will kill them. So that is the one flea treatment that you have to be absolutely sure is never given to or around your rabbit.

You would have to call them and see. I don't know if your vet will require that you bring your rabbit in or not. Yes, I would suggest saying this is for a rabbit.

Revolution seems to be the safest and most effective flea treatment for rabbits. I would use it over Advantage any time. But as with any medication, there is always some small possibility of an animal having an adverse reaction. So though it is generally considered safe, nothing is completely without risk.

If they give you the right flea medication, which is Revolution(selamectin), and it's a tube for a 15lb cat/dog, then it would be the right dose for your rabbit. Rabbits get 3 times the cat/dog dose. For your rabbit at 4-5lb(2kg), the dose would be approx. 32-50mg(25mg/kg dose was used in the rabbit study). A single tube of Revolution blue box for 5.1-15lb cats, is 45mg, and would be about the right dose. Or 3 tubes of the puppy/kitten box, that are 15mg each tube, together would be the needed 45mg. If your rabbit is right at 4lbs or just under that, then one tube of the 30mg purple dog dose could be used instead.

If you have to buy the whole box, and don't want to keep any extra on hand for another time, I would get the kitten box and use 2-3 tubes, depending on your buns weight. If you only have to buy a single tube, I would get the 30mg purple dog tube for under 4lb rabbit, or the cat blue tube for over 4lbs and up to 5.5lb rabbit. If you have to pay for a whole box and want to keep extra on hand, I would get the purple dog or blue cat box. And just make sure it's the regular Revolution and not the Revolution Plus.

Frontline(fipronil) is the one you should NEVER apply on rabbits, as it will kill them. So that is the one flea treatment that you have to be absolutely sure is never given to or around your rabbit.
Alright sounds good! Thanks a lot.

Back