Adult rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvthempigs

Reaction score
Please forgive me if this question has been posted and answered several times but I can't seem to find it. Maybe I'm searching the wrong words?

At what age is a rabbit fully grown and considered to be an adult?

Thanks

I would say 'adult' could be considered as 'breeding age' so somewhere between 4-6 months depending on the breed. Or it could be when someone would think about changing from an alfalfa diet to a timothy diet (depending on the rabbit an owner) so that would be around 1 year old...

tundrakatiebean wrote:
Or it could be when someone would think about changing from an alfalfa diet to a timothy diet (depending on the rabbit an owner) so that would be around 1 year old...

Thank you, That's exactly why I was asking :)

I didn't figure they were considered adult at sexual maturity so I was guessing about a year or so.

Actually, There's a thing about jr's and sr's in the show world. Jr's are under 6 mos I think and under their maximum weight. I don't know the exact rule but pamnock told me and I just know that Tony will be a sr. buck this year at the fair.

As far as teen/adult. I don't think a bunny within breeding age is necessarily an adult. First, they aren't full grown. Bo was VERY tiny when he "matured" physically. I remember he only weighed like 2.75 pounds or something like that.

Tony as well. He was very little - but now he's an adult and not quite a year old.

I would guess more around the age of 9 mos.

I would say a year, too. I know people certainly aren't adults at the time they reach, er, physical maturity anyway! :cool:

Back