Adult bunnies- alfalfa hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariah

Reaction score
I was at work all day, & my mother stopped in. She thought the bunnies looked hungry, & fed Kiwi & Papaya (aged 2 & 3) a handful of alfalfa hay... Im sick with worry, as I was just finishing nursing Kiwi through a bout of stasis...

How worried should I be?? Kiwi was already on cisapride, metacam, and simethicone for her tummy issues. Papaya seemed a bit off this morning (before the alfalfa hay) so he had simethicone this morning.

I offered more timothy hay when I got home, and they both nibbled a bit.

HELP. Currently having an anxiety attack...

I thought it was just fattening. Not a health hazard if they eat it once. Where'd your mom
Even get it?

Try to worry. Worrying doesnt help :) they'll be okay

Im sure you meant "try NOT to worry"... LOL...

Im probably just being hyper sensitive, but, I noticed they both seemed a little lethargic.. Probably from pigging out on the alfalfa... So I gave a dose of simethicone, didnt give pellets- only critical care, and I also gave metacam, in case they were painful.

Ive been home with them since 330ish pm, and they seem a lot better now, and its 1030pm. They have started munching on their timothy hay, and did have a little bunny run around there room. I also caught them grooming each other, so I take these as all good signs. Oh! And most importantly... THERE IS POO!!!!!!

I just worry so much about my bunnies. They mean so much to me :)

Sorry I'm to this late. Glad they seem to be feeling fine. When feeding alfalfa to a bun not used to it, the most it may do for a bun sensitive to it, is some mushy poop. I haven't heard of it causing serious digestive upset at all.

Sorry I'm to this late. Glad they seem to be feeling fine. When feeding alfalfa to a bun not used to it, the most it may do for a bun sensitive to it, is some mushy poop. I haven't heard of it causing serious digestive upset at all.

Thank you Jenny. I was waiting for your response! I havent seen any mushy poo yet.. But if I do- what should I do?

Should I go back to feeding Papaya his pellets in the morning? Kiwi hasnet had any in about 5 days or so. Just critical care for Kiwi right now.

If there is any mushy poop, it should just return to normal now that they are being fed their normal food. It's a bit like feeding a veggie that might cause mushy poop for certain buns. Once the veggie is stopped, everything should return to normal.

I can't see any problem with giving Papaya his pellets.

I think they will be fine. As long as they are eating, drinking regularly and still dropping off some poo and urinating.... But for any reasons I would just tell your mom what hay goes to which bunnies. Hope this helped a little, probably not lol.

I used to have Moo on alfalfa when he was a baby. I took him off when his pee got all sticky and less like pee and more like soap but not exactly if that makes any sense. Anyway, he's on Timothy now, but alfalfa is okay as a treat every now and then. I normally put some of that in his litter box so he knows it's extra good to go to the bathroom there!

Thanks for everyone's input. Kiwi & Papaya seem better today. They have gone back to eating their Timothy hay. I'm gone at work for long periods (tomorrow 14 hours...), so my Dad usually stops in on my long work days & tops up hay & water for my bunnies. If I give them too much in the morning, they just pull it out of their hay rake, and pee & poo all over it... Apparently, they are very spoiled (I wonder how that happened... :S), and only want "fresh" hay at certain times..

I just started this new job, & had asked my Dad (he lives close to me), if he would stop in to feed & water. I showed him what buns get what, & he does a fablous job. My mother didnt know... Now she does, so that mistake won't happen again.

Kiwi is still recovering from stasis, so that's why I freaked when I saw the alfalfa. Kiwi is still on all her meds as a precaution since tomorrow I have a long day at work. She had cisapride this morning, simethicone at lunch, and metacam before bed tonight.

Papaya also had simethicone at lunch today too. A lot can go wrong in 14 hours & I know my dad won't know the signs of a sick bun. Kiwi has specific signs that she shows me when she's ill. It's a problem I've been dealing with for years with her.

Jenny suggested a while ago to try a no pellet diet, so that's what I'm doing now.

Does anyone have any experience with feeding critical care morning & night long term, to a bunny that can't have pellets? I'm worried without the pellets, kiwi will loose weight. I've already seen her loose some weight since I cut her pellets back a lot- that is before I stopped the pellets completely.

Latest posts

Back