Adopting rabbits from people you know

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should previous owners help with costs if they say they will?

• No, you chose to take them, you pay for them.

• I don't know it depends on the situation.

• Yes, they should contribute what they can to major costs.

• Yes, they should contribute to major costs and upkeep.

Results are only viewable after voting.

grumpybabies

Reaction score
I just am getting a bit annoyed and want opinions if this is being unreasonable or not... I have taken a few rabbits from friends, and friends of friends as favours to help people out, some were just keen to get rid of them, and some were really attached and they really appreciated me taking them and wanted to know how they were etc. I have taken 4 from one person and 2 from another that were the attached kind and both said they would help out with costs, one was more emphatic about this saying any money you need let me know and i'll help as much as i can but please let me know. The other one loved his rabbits, but i wasn't told until i went to pick them up that one had problems, and so when i needed to take them to the vets as soon as i'd got them to sort it out i asked for help as i wouldn't have taken an ill rabbit if i'd know beforehand. I spent £125, about $200 i guess immediately and after a few weeks i got a small amount, but the problem i think was a result of their actions anyway, and i wouldn't give away any ill animal, let alone then not cover ALL the costs, and since then i have spent twice that again, and not got anything while they are getting new expensive pets!

The other person's rabbits, the one that was really keen to help with costs were more healthy but one needed an operation pretty quickly and i told the previous owner not asking for money but expecting them to offer anyway, i prob wouldn't have taken any money because it wasn't much but they didn't offer, and i have recently got in contact to say i must spay the females could you help but even they told a mutual friend they would, they ignored me and that's that.

I wouldn't have taken the animals if i couldn't afford them, but i kind of feel that's not the point. The one that was really keen to help i was kind of hoping to rely on their contributions (even if small) if i was ever in a bad financial situation, and the other one tells me the rabbit is sick when i get there, prob because of their actions (not that they admit that) and they can afford other animals but not to pay for the damage they have done. It doesn't bother me with the ones that didn't say they would help and are really keen to just get shot of them, but when you say you will help, you should keep to your word, especially if they meant so much to you, you would expect they would want the best for them. (I know they both have jobs). If i had to give an animal away for some reason i would give prob way more than is appropriate for the rest of it's life, so am i being unreasonable being annoyed that people are letting me down, and seemingly don't care about the rabbits they cared so much about! Rant over!

I'm sorry your friends aren't helping for the cost of there rabbits. But if you are have financial difficulty caring for them tell you friends you are going to have to rehome their rabbis if they aren't wiling to help with the cost to take care of them.

You're in a difficult decision and like with some other issues, things can get blurred between friends; money seems to be a culprit a lot of the time.

Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do about these buns, but if you take buns in the future, maybe work out a contract or agreement with them that you both have to stick by (sort of like when a rescue rehomes to someone), so you could include, for some people, donating X amount a month for their care and upbringing (could be as little as £2 or more if the bunny is special needs/ill ir the person wants/is able to), you could also then state what you will do for the bunny too because often a lot of people have no idea.

You're in a rough situation and I feel for you, but am super glad that these bunnies are somewhere much better and getting the care they need.

Lucky bunnies. :D Poor you.:(

we have taken in many bunnies although ours' came mostly from shelters. The few we agreed to take from people that couldn't keep them came with few strings--I insisted that they be neutered or spayed or that the procedure be paid for first. Other than that, the burden was mine. Felt that it was the price to pay for saving a rabbit's life. As far as the word friend's goes, I've told our children that you will have a lot of aquaintances in life but only a few of those will truly be friends.

Neither of those people are friends, they are friends of friends, but unfortunately i do have friends like that too! It's not that i can't afford to care for them, because i can, i wouldn't have taken them otherwise, but as i have quite a few the spays etc have to be spread out, especially when major emergencies come up, so i thought i could call on these people but obviously not, and the sad thing is it has stopped me wanting to help people out which is sad that people make you feel that way. I'm glad most people agree with me that some help is reasonable thanks for the replies and votes!

If they agreed to help you then they should. I think it is wrong to tell someone you will help with expenses if they take the rabbit and then not help. Especially if they knew a rabbit you were taking was ill or needed to be spayed or neutered.

I don't know if this is possible but maybe in the future you can say before you take the rabbit it needs to go to the vet and you need to have a statement from the vet stating they are in good health. I would also tell them the rabbit must be spayed before you take it. I don't know if that would have helped in these situations but hopefully it would.

Good luck. You are in a hard spot.

When rabbits are surrendered to places like the RSPCA they ask for a donation. Maybe when you take a bunny on you should ask for a donation that covers as much as the family can (like a spay/neuter, or vaccinations or something).

If they said they where going to help they should of.

I dad gave me a dog which I gave to my mom weird I know. Lucy but my dad gives me 30 bucks a month for that dog which he agreed to until she is two.

I try to give it to my mom but she never takes it. So I put it in my pet emergency fund which is what my dad tells me to do.

So he stood up and I would expect them to also but I have rehomed pets for friend many of times and I had to get them spayed and nuetered. And there shots when I was not suposed to.

I didn't have this with rabbits, but I had it with rats. I had rats for a few years, and as of about 3 years ago, didn't get any more when my last one passed away.

My brother got 2 rats for my nephew, even though my nephew didn't like animals. I knew where this was going; they kept them for about 6 months and then called me up to say that it was too much work and they didn't want them anymore; did I want them?

I told my brother that when I would consider it, but when they need vet care, my brother would have to pay for it, because I didn't have any extra moneynow that we had bought a house ( & I already have 3 cats, a rabbit, turtle and a gerbil).

Needless to say, he found another home for them, back with the person he got them from, who are good pet owners, so I know the rats are in good hands; I wouldn't have let anything bad happen to them.

Back