ADOPTING over buying..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animal<3er

Reaction score
A few weeks ago,I went to the local animal shelter(www.torontohumanesociety.com)and found my first rabbit. She's a giant lop, white w/brown, 5 yearsold, and her name is Chatouille (Shat-wee - French for "tickle"). ILOVE HER - she warmed up to me very quickly, is litter trained, andfits right in with our family. She's a very loving bunny, she loves torun on her leash in the yard but also loves to snuggle and be petted.If you're considering getting a rabbit I would UNDOUBTEDLY reccomendadopting one from your local shelter or rescuefacility. Allof the animals there were beautiful, in good health, and for themostpart friendly. ADOPT, and BOYCOTT pet stores - as I'm sure most ofyou already do. But definetely adopt a needy bunny!!! :) They'll loveyou for it.

Samantha, 16, Toronto

:)You share the views of many of theposters here. Some own pet store rabbits that when they got them, didnot know better or felt sorry for them and wanted to rescue them. I forone will never take a pet store pet and it makes me sick to walk intoone, so I stick to the feed stores that don't sell pets. My boys wereboth given to me because they were from surprise litters and my friendhad to get rid of them. Anyways, glad you rescued a bunny.

Like i said before its not the babies in the petstores fault they where brought there!!I know i have seen babies asyoung as 5 wks in pet stores :X...but sometimes its hard to walk into apet store and see them babies and its hard to resist!

I concur! :D There are some wonderful rabbits awaiting loving homes.

I can't believe that someone could part with them in the first place --many of the bunns that I've seen adopted into new homes were absolutedolls.

Pam

I am going to adopt to female three year oldbunnies in december. I can't wait. I'm going to get them from the SPCA.Flopsy needs somelady friends xD

CuddlesMom wrote:
Like i said before its not the babies in the pet storesfault they where brought there!!I know i have seen babies as young as 5wks in pet stores :X...but sometimes its hard to walk into a pet storeand see them babies and its hard to resist!
Bless your heart, Cuddlesmom. *hug * Don't get upset. I think the point thateverybody is making is that they want to discourage pet shops fromputting bunnies in that unfortunate position in the first place and todiscourage breeders from selling them to them.

You're right. It's not thelittle bunnies' fault and truly I understand how you feel.We're just trying to focus on the larger picture.

P.S. I try to stay away frompet shops that sell animals too. I just can't takeit. It really hurts me.

I totally agree. I work at an animal shelter,mostly with the small animals, and it pains me to see the "Easterbunnies" that get dumped, or the rabbits the pet store labeled "dwarf"(most of the time they aren't) and they've gotten pretty big, or thetags that say "Kids lost interest".

There are bunnies at the shelter that have been there for a very longtime, but they're older, or they don't have the right look, and theyaren't as appealing as a baby bun (personally, I wouldn't mindbypassing the teenage period).

All the buns need is a little time and a little socializing, andthey'll love you like they've known you forever. I am a total advocateof adopting from your local shelter. It'll give you a great feelingthat will be re-affirmed every time you see your happy (rescued) bunny.

~M

I have never boughten a pet from the pst storeand i never will but i haven't adopted either :(partlybecause the animal shelters that are within 30 miles :(of us usuallydon't have bunnies or rabbits for adoption.

Robert

There is something so pleasing when an adoptedbunny shows affection and happiness after all they've been through. Iwas so happy when I first saw Perry and Pernod binky, and, for me, thebest part is when they lay on their side (or back) eyes half closed,totally tranced. For an adopted bunny to be that relaxed makes me feellike I'm doing something right. There are so many rabbits waiting inshelters for homes that here in the UK, the Rabbit Welfare Associationare trying to get people to think of shelters before pet shops to get arabbit.

I'm with you BunnyMommy, I only go into petshops that don't sellanimals. (by the way, that is the first time I've seen a picture of TheKing - he is a right Royal Beauty!)

Jan

bluebird wrote:
Actually i have never seen a rabbit in our local humanesociety either.But i would hesitate to call anyone that sells to petstores breeders.bluebird
Some humane societies don't accept rabbits -- an HRS chapter in myhometown took in the local rabbits. The months followingEaster and the county fairs were the times when numbers of unwantedrabbits went up the most.

Pam

Latest posts

Back