Adopting a bunny pair - a few questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marrie

Reaction score
I am applying to adopt a bonded pair of lionhead rabbits. I have already scoped out the NIC cages and have plans to build one before they come home. Water bottle (or bowl, i'll ask what they are used to), food bowl, hay rack, litter box (they are already trained).

But... I have a few questions before I bring them home, I want to make sure they are getting the best care possible here!

I plan to use the NIC wire cubes to block off the walls of our spare bedroom and turn it into the bunny room, with supervised running free once I am sure they will use their litterbox after being relocated to our house. But, what should I use as a "bottom" to the cage? I was thinking about rewashable puppy training pads, since I don't want any accidents to seep into the floor if possible. But I want to make sure whatever I use is safe and large enough to cover up the floor. Would those pads be OK? Or do you suggest something else?

Would it be better to make a smaller caged off area while they settle in and get accustomed to their litter box in our house?

I already know I will need hard plastic wire coating for all our wires, to avoid chewing. Is there anything you can put on wooden trim along the floor, or will I just have to be very careful in watching them?

They are both adult rabbits - I know babies need alfalfa, but do adults at all? Or should they just have timothy pellets + timothy hay and a little bit of fresh veggies?

Also, I want to make an outdoor exercise area so they can get fresh air / sun this summer. We have a backyard with dandelions, grass and regular weeds that grow. Is there any toxic plants I should worry about making sure is not in our yard (that would natively grow in the midwest U.S)? I intend to give it a top so that no predator birds can get them.

Sorry for all the questions, I have done research, but I keep finding conflicting reports from websites on some things. The bad thing about the net - anyone can put information up, then you have to sort out which is correct and which isn't! Argh.

The bunnies are 2 female lionheads - they have been up for adoption for about 4 months but they won't separate the bonded pair, so having trouble finding a home for them. I emailed them today and they have had no applications for them yet. We have to get the fee/cages/supplies/a vet, so will be about 2 weeks before I can put in for a visit. They are both spayed by the shelter, it is a mother/daughter pair so the older one has already had a litter. They have been living in a foster home learning to be house bunnies since the shelter got them, also they have been litter box trained already.

If we do get approved to adopt them, they will be joining our cockatiel as house owners, graciously allowing us to live in their domain :biggrin2:

The only way I would use pads is in trays that are under the cage that has litter over it. I would be worried about chewing and pieces that end up everywhere. I suggest roll out kitchen tile. Lynolium spelling? Lol it's bad I know. I would have it wider then the nic cage so they can get to the ends for chewing.

Hrm, ok, thank you :)

I guess i'll try to see if there is a sign store nearby to get the recommended bottom from the NIC thread in housing. If not, I will see how much linoleum is.

The floor in the room I plan to put them in is hard wood, but I don't want too many accidents on it as I read wood can absorb the smell of their urine and make them think it is the litter box.

Hi Marrie, i just moved from my house to an apartment (divorce). They put new carpet down so I certainly don`t want that ruined. I had a few good size area rugs that i put over their carpet. I bought cheap shower curtains from the dollar store to put under my rugs.

In my NIC cages for the flooring I went to home depot and bought a cheap type of paneling. (not the correct word) This stuff come in 2 sizes 8`by 4` or 2`by 4`` (I think) You can get them to cut it in the sizes you need. I also put ceramic tile in Winston & Vega`s cage as he tends to pee outside of the litter box.

If you have an Ikea where you live you can get plastic cover for the wires. You can look on line too I think they ship also.

I definitely wouldn't`t use the pads. I went to Walmart and bought a bunch of cheap tea towel and hand towels to use in Winston & Vega`s cage for when the BRAT pees outside the box. It`s just easier for me for him to pee on those.

I mainly give mine Timothy hay but as a treat I will by Oat, Orchard Grass Hay orjust about any other hay except Alfalfa.

Good luck I hope you get approved.

Susan:)

PS

If you need to see what I`m talking about for the flooring let me know and I will take a couple of pictures for you.

I use coroplast (from a sign store - a 4x8 sheet was about $10) for the floor in the cage. I also have a piece of a roll of vinyl flooring from home depot under that, just in case. The vinyl flooring was a remnant so very inexpensive. I have wood floors and a rabbit that is 99.5% litter trained and has never peed on my floor. I purchased some of the rubber backed low pile area rugs from home depot or target that were about 4x6 to put down in his run area so that he wouldn't have to be on the wood floor or coroplast all the time. Because it is such a low pile rug, he doesn't chew on it and it gives him some grip to really run around on. He doesn't seem to mind the wood floor though either but he does lie on the rugs during the day. The nice thing about the rugs is that they are machine washable. I got several small enough to go in my washing machine rather than look for a larger one. Also, the smaller ones are less expensive.

No matter what you use, you will want to watch to see if your bunnies chew on them. Mine doesn't chew on the rugs or coroplast but he does chew on wood. I've had to block off a few areas where I don't want my trim chewed on and I've given him some alternatives (a branch sticking through his NIC grid cage works well).

I have very short carpet too so they havn't chewed it. I do use the puppy pads under the litter boxes because my boy can be a bit messy. It sticks out about an inch all the way around to catch any drips. They have not shown any signs of interest in it.

Two of mine do tend to be chewers, but I just keep giving them sticks and toys. As long as they have wood to chew on they behave themselves. Cardboard is also a great love in my house. They also have fleece blankets that get a nibble now and then, but no real damage.

Thank you all. Seems there are a lot of options. I was reading the coroplast thread in the housing section, only one sign store in my area, so maybe i'll give them a call and see how much they want for it. :)

Back