Adopted bunny with possible problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZephirahStar

Reaction score
So, I've never had a male rabbit before, but recently brought home a rather neglected 6 year old Holland Lop named Kenobi. In the process of cleaning his incredibly messy bottom up, I discovered that one of his testicles (I assume?) is always dangling down -- so far down that he trips over it and steps on it fairly often, and it actually wraps a little bit around his legs as he is hopping.

I covered the ramp to his cage with a straw mat so it doesn't get caught in the spaces between the bars and I do plan to have him to the vet in the next week, but I'm wondering what I should be thinking about doing.

Can I have it removed? Should I even? The other one descends and ascends depending on how warm he is, which I assume is normal.

I hate the thought of stressing him out with a surgery when he's gone through so much stress already with not being taken care of by his previous owners, a big move to a new home and not to mention the stress of having to be cleaned up (it took two major butt sponge baths and a lot of combing).

At any rate, I will of course have him to a rabbit vet and see what they say, but I'm looking for advice anyway.

I took a couple pictures to show what I'm talking about.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/zephirahstar/image_zpse78aecc3.jpeg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/zephirahstar/photo2_zps1d9d2345.jpg

Yikes! That definitely doesn't look normal, and if he's stepping on it....ouuuuch. It's great you're taking him to the vet for it, I would get him neutered for sure but I wonder if there are any associated nerve or muscular problems that might cause/relate to the drooping testicle.

He may have got it caught in something at some point, which caused the damage. I think the solution will be to get him neutered. It's slightly more of a risk at that age, but doable with a good rabbit vet. It will also help with any hormonal issues he may have(spraying, humping).

With the messy bottom, it sounds like he also has cecal dysbiosis if it is due to mushy poop. If it is actual watery diarrhea, you need to get him to the vet immediately. Usually the mushy poop is due to a diet too high in sugars/carbs and not enough fiber. Stress can also contribute as well as dental problems, and sometimes an intolerance to a particular veggie or food. If you haven't already made diet changes, usually the solution is increased hay consumption and cutting treats out and reducing pellets. If you find he won't eat hay or not very well, it would also be a good idea for the vet to do a thorough dental exam while your bun is already under anesthesia for the neuter, to make sure dental issues aren't causing any eating problems.
http://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/
http://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/

Thank you both for your input.

I got his digestive problem under control right away and he has normal poops now. He's not super keen on hay, but I think I finally found some he likes. He all but refused the store bought stuff and I ended up getting a bale of timothy hay from a relative who has horses and he really seems to like that. I imagine it's better quality than what you find at pet stores and Fleet Farm, and it sure smells good to me!

Now that he's comfortable with me and my husband and his new home, I'm ready to take him to a vet. It took a while to track down a vet that actually sees rabbits on a regular basis, but there happens to be one within 10 miles of our home and I'm going to give them a call on Monday to see when I can get him in.

I figured neutering would be the answer, but as mentioned, I'm a bit worried about his age. At least I know the vet I plan to take him to treats bunnies frequently, so I should be able to trust their judgement.

I also just noticed what might be the start of sore hock... he's got a small bit of dry-reddish skin on his "heel" of one foot. He is shedding a lot right now, but it doesn't look like the rest of his skin.

He's such a sweetheart, I can't imagine his previous family taking such awful care of him :(

My 3 year old mini lop had sore hocks, amongst other issues, when I got him a few months ago. The vet said the skin will heal over but he may never grow fur back there again but he has completely healed with new fur and everything, just needed a clean dry environment.

Latest posts

Back