Adopted another rabbit today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobunnynoclue

Reaction score
It's just too easy to get a rabbit. Now I have 3 rabbits in the house but I can only keep 2 of them.

Jake isn't making it an easy choice because he chases and bites both the girls. Neither one is spayed but one is his age while the one we got today is only 2 months old. We decided to find a new home for the Netherlands dwarf and keep the baby. I think she's a lionhead. I'm going to keep them separated but in the same room.

So where my knowledge is lacking is how and when to introduce them again since they are so different in age. I don't want the baby to get bitten but how long should I wit before trying again? What would the cinsequences be of letting them interact now versus later?

I don't understand, you can only keep two? Then why did you get another one today? :?

Because I'm an idiot and didn't think things thru. Instead of taking Jake to meet the rabbit with me, I just brought the new rabbit to him. He chased and bit the first girl so much I knew that wasn't going to work. He never did that to Fiona. He'd hump her then stop, but that's it.

Now he does the same thing with the baby. So I think he is just not ready to meet a new rabbit. I'm just going to house them separately for a couple months where they can see each other and see it he warms up to her over time. Considering I adopted the first girl from someone on crags list for FREE, I don't feel I did her a disservice by taking her in and then rejoining her now. At least I won't be giving her up to the first snake keeper who shows up on my doorstep claiming to love my rabbit, know what I mean?

I have a friend who is interested in her. So things may work out well for her. To the subject of introducing a 2 month old to a 1year old, I think time will be the deciding factor. I just hope letting them live apart but in the same room doesn't hurt things between them.

It's normal for some humping and or chasing when they are first introduced. So no worries there. Im not so sure biting is normal or that its a good sign for them getting along in the future.

It's normally a good idea to quarantine or at least observe a new rabbit for several days before introducing him/her to your current bunnies. That way you can avoid possibly introducing parasites or illness to your current rabbits. It also gives the new comer a chance to become adjusted to their new surroundings.

Introducing a younger bunny to an older bunny (in my opinion) is actually easier than introducing two that are the same age. For now I think its a good idea to house them in different cages but so that they can see each other. You can try introducing them again at a later date.

There is a lot of information on introducing bunnies on the forum. I would recommend doing some reading before attempting to introduce them to each other again. Keep in mind your male may not accept and be nice to any other rabbit. I have a very sweet holland lop who is exceptional with people and children but turns into a monster towards other rabbits.

Things I've learned when trying to bond my buns--------> You will know if they are fighting vs if they are just nipping. My bun Millie nips Cheeto every time he demands to be groomed. It's completely normal, but it's not aggressive. Cheeto also seems to nip her when he is trying to show his dominance. As long as they don't pursue the biting (if they can't take a break without your assistance) then it's probably just your bun telling the other who's boss. Another thing, I would wait until the other bun is spayed to try and bond them. That seems to be the lesson with a lot of stories here on RO. If they get in a fight because she is so hormonal, it might make it harder to re-bond them after the spay. Rabbits don't forget!

Good luck =)

Latest posts

Back