Adding Vanilla To Water.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnysmom

Reaction score
I have come across this a few times on this message board.

Is it something you can do just as a treat?

Or is it supposed to be just in an emergency to get your rabbit to drink more water?

Do you have to use 100% pure vanilla extract, or can you use imitation vanilla extract? And how much?

Question over load?:D

I was wanting to give Bunny a second smaller water bottle with vanilla water as a treat, but I wanted to make sure I had all the facts straight before I did it.

Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure as I've never used it, butI think people use it to help reduce odor.

I sometimes put someapple juice into my girls water bottles for a little treat.:)

I'm sure someone will be able to tell you a bit more soon.

Hi,

There is a belief that adding vanilla to their drinking water will reduced the urine odor....thus drawing less flies.

You can use it as a treat if you like....it won't harm the buns.

I'll sometimes add it to the water if a bun isn't drinking a lot.....hoping that they'll like the taste and drink more.

You can use either the natural or artificial vanilla. The natural has alcohol in it.....been known to prompt wild bunnie parties (just kidding!).

-(From Buck Jones) "I add approximately one teaspoon of vanilla flavoring extract, real or artificial, to one gallon of drinking water in an effort to reduce fly strike and warbles by reducing the number of flies in and about our rabbits."

~Jim

The natural has alcohol in it.....been known to prompt wild bunnie parties (just kidding!).

That really made me laugh!!!:laugh:

Thanks for the help ya'll.

I just gave her a bottle of vanilla water and she really likes it. She closed her little eyes while drinking it!Mmmmmmm...

BTW, she liked the baked pine cones also! She carried it into her home and laid down on her bed with it and munched away.

I guess I really should stop saying "her" since I have no idea what Bunny's sex is. Her/she just seems to have stuck.

To add a little more information...I add 1cc to 32oz of water.

For those that have a hard time breaking down measurements (like I do). :)

cc is a volume measurement(cubic centimeter). It's the same as 1 millilitre (ml)

Nadia

Oops...sorry 'bout that...

A cc is a measurement you can use in a syringe. :)

I add vanilla to my pet ratties drinking water just to try it out once, and I never smelled a difference.

I just use wood pellets for litter and make sure that my litter boxes are cleaned out every 3 days. I don't like to add things to my pet's water, I think just keeping clean and giving pure fresh water is the way for me to go.

Or maybe I just don't have stinky bunnies or I can't smell, hehe? :dunno

- Amy (Mallory, Morgan, and Madilyn-Mae):hearts

Bunny doesn't stink. I don't know if it's because she is still so young or what. But, I haven't smelled anything yet. I clean out her cage everyday. When we build her hutch this weekend I will start trying to litter box train her. She is pretty good about only going in one corner as it is.

I mainly wanted to give the flavored water to her as a treat.Just to give her something yummy. If it offers protection against flies that is a good thing also, we have pasture on three sides of our home, so when we are in and out a fly or two always manages to get in.

Back