Adding a third when two don't get along?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyndym

Reaction score
As some of you know from my blog and past posts, I have tried every bonding method in the book for my two over the past eight months or so. I have abandoned all hope for them after a huge fight a few weeks ago. I called the woman at the shelter, and she suggested adding a third to the mix to help the dynamic of my two. Who has experience with this?

I think it really all just depends on the rabbit that you would pick out. It's been so hard with your two, you may only want to give it a try if there is only really positive signs of liking each other and getting along right from the start. You certainly don't want to end up trying to do another difficult bond. You could try bonding with 3 buns, but that may just be too difficult. If nothing else, you could at least find Doc a friend that likes him right off, and who he likes as well.

I know Jenny, it's been such a rough time I'm not sure whether or not I want to proceed with this option. Luckily, the woman offered right away that this could be a trial thing and if the third did not help, I could bring it back in no problem. This was something I was going to ask about, so it's nice she brought it up on her own, I can tell she's on my side and not just trying to adopt out rabbits all over the place! I really want what's best for all buns involved as well as for myself, and keeping Doc and Rory separated on a permanent basis is not best for any of us. I know Doc does better with a mate, and I know Rory isn't a match for him, at least not on her own. I can't have more serious rabbit injuries on my hands - aside from the obvious that I don't want any rabbit to get hurt, Doc's vet visit and antibiotics were not kind to my wallet. I have gotten attached to Rory, but I'm trying to make a good decision without letting emotions get in the way of things. Is is possible she just wants to be a single rabbit? Or is it just Doc? Would it be better for her to go back and for Doc to try a new friend without even trying a third?

Guys, any input at all would be much appreciated. I'm giving myself a couple weeks to consider this option and then I must make a decision - to try out a third or exchange Rory for a different lady for Doc. Even if someone has advice on bonding trios in general, please chime in! Not only am I concerned with trying anything more with my current two, but can trios every be rocky in general just because there's an extra personality in the mix? How often, in comparison to pairs, can there be a "falling out" or weakening of the bond?

This impending decision has been weighing heavily on my mind, so it'd be great if anyone has anything else to say on this issue! :)

I haven't attempted a trio myself, but from the ones I've read about, it seems complicated and difficult, but that doesn't mean that's always the case and that things can't work out well between three buns. Unfortunately you just never know until you attempt it.

I can't really say what might be the best thing, because I'm not in your situation. I think you just have to evaluate what is going to be the best situation for you and your rabbits. If you think a third could work out, then give it a shot. But if you feel that your home and situation isn't the best for Rory, then that is something to consider as well.

Back